Magic Trackpad, but still no wireless number pad: Why??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I know Apple is anti-buttons and maybe it's because I'm a bit of a numbers guy, but why in the world doesn't Apple offer a wireless number pad or at least add it to their wireless keyboard. It just seems so odd not to offer it. Does anyone else feel that way?

I wonder if the magic trackpad has enough "touch zones" that you could actually program it to be used as a number pad and put some kind of clear number label sticker on top. If that's possible I'd probably get one today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
+1 for the wireless number pad! Bring it on!!!

You listening @apple???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I know Apple is anti-buttons and maybe it's because I'm a bit of a numbers guy, but why in the world doesn't Apple offer a wireless number pad or at least add it to their wireless keyboard. It just seems so odd not to offer it. Does anyone else feel that way?

I wonder if the magic trackpad has enough "touch zones" that you could actually program it to be used as a number pad and put some kind of clear number label sticker on top. If that's possible I'd probably get one today.

I think you're onto something there. Except I would think a touch-screen surface (similar to the iPad) would be better. Maybe have a "keyboard" button on the trackpad that could toggle between a number pad and gestures.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They just need to offer a 104-key wireless keyboard to compliment the existing wireless keyboard. I think when they released the current one, the thought was to keep it smaller to use with your HTPC machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel
I'm still using the wired 104-key keyboard. I would love to go bluetooth but I use the numeric keypad a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
They just need to offer a 104-key wireless keyboard to compliment the existing wireless keyboard.

Exactly. I get sick of typing IP addresses out all day on my MBP!

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
They just need to offer a 104-key wireless keyboard to compliment the existing wireless keyboard. I think when they released the current one, the thought was to keep it smaller to use with your HTPC machine.

True. They do just need a wireless version of the 104-keyboard. It's ridiculous they don't offer it. I would love to have Apple's keyboard, but I need a number pad and I need wireless to easily put the keyboard to the side when I need more desk space. Since apple doesn't deliver, I had to buy from someone who will.

An Apple wireless 104-key with a magic trackpad on the left (I'm a lefty) would be perfect!

:drool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm left-handed also, but I always use my mouse with my right hand. I just never could get used to using it in my left hand.

And I agree it's annoying they don't have a wireless 104-key keyboard.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Exactly. I get sick of typing IP addresses out all day on my MBP!

Amen. That's when I notice it too. I love the keyboard otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried to switch over to the Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad and then tried to play NWN1. I was stuck due to the lack of so many keys which are essential for that game. A full-size Bluetooth Keyboard would resolve that.

Until then I had to go back to my Logitech USB Wireless Keyboard, which is full size.

It doesn't look as cool and takes up a lot more deskspace, but it has the keys I need :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't like the look of that mouse. Firstly it's not magical as they claim. And secondly every time I used it I'd have to worry about hitting the keys accidentally. And also I never look at my mouse when I use it. And that little calculator means I have to move my head to the mouse and back to my screen if I was to add up things on it. No good. And it's not a scientific calculator or a graphing calculator. Sure 99% of these people have no need for a fancy calculator but all the geeky nerds who would think about buying a mouse like this would have a use for such a fancy calculator.

So in short that mouse + number pad looks really nice. But not for me so I am not in the market for one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like the look of that mouse. Firstly it's not magical as they claim. And secondly every time I used it I'd have to worry about hitting the keys accidentally. And also I never look at my mouse when I use it. And that little calculator means I have to move my head to the mouse and back to my screen if I was to add up things on it. No good. And it's not a scientific calculator or a graphing calculator. Sure 99% of these people have no need for a fancy calculator but all the geeky nerds who would think about buying a mouse like this would have a use for such a fancy calculator.

So in short that mouse + number pad looks really nice. But not for me so I am not in the market for one.

I understand.
I can operate a desk calculator by touch, so I wouldn't have to look at the mouse. Although, I imagine it probably would take a little bit to get used to the buttons being smaller and closer together than a desk calculator.
I think it would be a fine interim device until Apple eventually (hopefully) comes up with some sort of trackpad/10-keypad device in the future. But I think it's an acceptable solution for now. I mostly posted this because of the OP's reference to some sort of desktop 10-key device combined with cursor control. But I do prefer a trackpad over a mouse. :)

Reaction score
Mac Wireless Keyboard wo Numeric Keypad: You're Not a True Apple Head

This kerfuffle about no numeric keypad on the mac wireless keyboard reminds me of falling in love with the "perfect" person...only to want them to change once you have your claws into him or her. The wireless keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad...because it doesn't. Apple products are about aesthetics as much as design and features. Aesthetics are what true Apple Heads have always coveted. Apple does its best to meld the three. But in the end, it has to feel like art. And if utilitarian aspects, like a numeric keypad, detract from its beauty, lightness, and tactile experience...it has to be jettisoned. This is what all the PC converts to Mac have to understand. Otherwise, break up with Apple and find something else. But don't compromise a beautifully designed Apple product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I bought a 3rd party wireless keyboard from the Apple store last Feb. It works fine. I can't remember the name of it but they do exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This kerfuffle about no numeric keypad on the mac wireless keyboard reminds me of falling in love with the "perfect" person...only to want them to change once you have your claws into him or her. The wireless keyboard doesn't have a numeric keypad...because it doesn't. Apple products are about aesthetics as much as design and features. Aesthetics are what true Apple Heads have always coveted. Apple does its best to meld the three. But in the end, it has to feel like art. And if utilitarian aspects, like a numeric keypad, detract from its beauty, lightness, and tactile experience...it has to be jettisoned. This is what all the PC converts to Mac have to understand. Otherwise, break up with Apple and find something else. But don't compromise a beautifully designed Apple product.

LOL looks like Steve dropped in here ..... ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.