Intalling Mac OSX on a non-apple computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am thinking of loading Mac OSX on my old PC. Can you format the hard drive (deleting XP) and load Mac OSX, or does Mac OSX only work for Apple computers? Also, if I was to build my own PC from scratch, could I load Mac on it? If so, how? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It only works with a Mac. Doing otherwise is illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
TECHNICALLY, it's possible. Unfortunately, it's also illegal except for a few rare circumstances (developer box provided by Apple).

It's against the OS X EULA to install the operating system on non-Apple hardware. So the only way to do it would be illegally, which we don't discuss here.

OP
Choobus
Reaction score
I was mostly meaning, lets say, I get a new hard drive. Instead of loading XP, I load Mac. Will it work?; or will I have to do lots of changes to my computer?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The important thing is here is it's totally against the rules here at Mac Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I was mostly meaning, lets say, I get a new hard drive. Instead of loading XP, I load Mac. Will it work?; or will I have to do lots of changes to my computer?
The hard drive and formatting won't matter. It is not possible to natively install any legal, retail version of the OS on a non-Apple computer.

There really isn't any more that can be said about it and there isn't any reason for this thread to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.