Lost connection to my user folder

Reaction score
Stupid me, I changed the name on my user folder and lost all connection to everything that was set up under my user name.

How can I get my account to access the user folder now? Even when I changed the user name back to what it was before, the account wouldn't connect to it. Is there a way to find out what the path is currently under my account name?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you changed the name to the your user folder and log out. it will create a new user folder upon log in. If you changed the name and changed it back, but did not log out. Then logging out and then back in may help.

OP
M
Reaction score
Unfortunately that doesn't work. I'm not sure that I've reestablished the old user name.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK! finally got it to work. I had the wrong original short user name. Machelp: "My home folder and desktop are different from before"

J

JunMacTech

OK! finally got it to work. I had the wrong original short user name. Machelp: "My home folder and desktop are different from before"

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever change your short username. But I guess you just figured that out :spook:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you want to change the name of your home folder, use must create a new user with the name of the home folder you want. Then you copy all of the data from the old user folder to the new user folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.