Hooking up my macbook pro to my old cinema display

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
New here. I am trying to hook my macbook up to the external display, and can't. I'm frustrated because every search I do doesn't fully answer the problem.

I have the adapter that hooks into the display card, but I am perplexed by the other cords. I cannot connect the display firewire into my laptop, because it is the wrong shape.

Do I also need a firewire adapter? I just want to double check this, before I go out and purchase it. All 3 cords need to connect into my laptop correct?
1.) display
2.) firewire
3.) usb

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi everyone,
New here. I am trying to hook my macbook up to the external display, and can't. I'm frustrated because every search I do doesn't fully answer the problem.

I have the adapter that hooks into the display card, but I am perplexed by the other cords. I cannot connect the display firewire into my laptop, because it is the wrong shape.

Do I also need a firewire adapter? I just want to double check this, before I go out and purchase it. All 3 cords need to connect into my laptop correct?
1.) display
2.) firewire
3.) usb

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. :Smirk:

More than likely the reason why you cannot connect the "display firewire"...is because it's most likely not firewire.

Does this display have an ADC connecter (the plug on the left):
219101.jpg

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Nick,
Yes, it has a connector very much like that. The apple store had me buy an adapter that would allow me to hook that part into the macbook pro. The thing is the cinema display has 4 cords coming out of one large cord. Those 4 cords are: power (which has to plug into an additional power source that in turn plugs into the outlet), a usb cord and a firewire cord (both are stuck into my G5), and the analog connector similar to what you have displayed.

I'm researching the apple store and it looks like I need to buy something called a DVI to ADC adapter... that costs approx. $100. Of course not nearly as simple as the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter he told me I need. If I'm hearing you right, I have the wrong adapter...

I am really disappointed in how apple has made this so difficult. I am a proud mac user (have been for 20 years), but not a real "techy" person. :eek:)

Does this sound right to you? Do I need the... Apple DVI to ADC Adapter?

Thank you so much for your help Nick!
Teresa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.