- My first Mac and I need help (pls) -

Reaction score
Dear (insert name),

I recently bought my first macbook pro 15". I got it used and I have a few quick questions as a result to make sure I didn't get swindled.

1- I do not have the original install disks. My macbook pro 15" is a late 2009 model. How can I get new disks? Can I use some else's disk from another mac?

2- My macbook pro came with the cs4 master collection downloaded, but I got no disks or serial number. I have the option to register the applications. Am I up the creek without a paddle? Is there anyway to get new disks for this valid copy of cs4 master collection? (as far as I can tell the serial number has already been used to make my programs official but I don't have the number myself)

3- Should I take my macbook pro in somewhere to get it looked at or run some kind of diagnostic on it?

Thank you sooo much for any help given. I am really looking forward to editing, gaming, and having fun with my new computer. I just don't know any mac experts. I really do appreciate any help with my new mac! =0)

Reaction score
1 - You will have to purchase Snow Leopard, or another version of OS X. Unless you can find someone with the exact year/make/model Mac, restore discs that came with anyone else's Mac won't work. Snow Leopard is 29 dollars. VERY cheap. Lion is just around the corner, but it would still be worth it to buy Snow Leopard in case you have problems between now and then :)

2 - You are indeed up the creek without a paddle. As far as I know there is no legal way to get discs for software someone else purchased. Short of buying a copy for yourself, of course :)

3 - If it's working properly and everything seems fine, you shouldn't need to have it looked at. :)

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your Mac! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your help! It is truly appreciated. =)

(edit)

I have one last question regarding the CS4 Master Collection on my mac:

1) If I backup up my mac on an external hard drive and something happens to my mac can I put the programs from my external hard drive, such as after effects, back onto my computer without needed to type in the serial number or reinstall with disks?

Again, I greatly appreciate the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
1) If I backup up my mac on an external hard drive and something happens to my mac can I put the programs from my external hard drive, such as after effects, back onto my computer without needed to type in the serial number or reinstall with disks?

In short YES . . . . . . This is why we back up.

If you use something like SuperDuper to back up, all you would need to do is boot from the External and away you go. Just as if you where using the OS on the Mac.
If you use Time Machine then its just a matter of using Migration Assistant to bring it back over to the Mac once the problem is sorted out . . . .

Enjoy your MBP and dont be a stranger here if you are in need of more help :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

And Apple Hardware Test is not on the Snow Leopard disc but on those original system install discs you missed out on when you purchased the computer. Genuine sellers will make these available with the sale.

You might try and ring Apple in whatever country you are in, acatar does not say, and see if you can get the original discs. Have the model and serial numbers available when you ring.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. You have been a great help to me during this transition from PC to my first Mac.

1) I will backup my Mac as suggested to protect my programs! =)

2) I just ordered new start up disks from Apple for $17 as suggested as well.

Thanks again guys. It is nice to have people ready to help others who have nothing to offer them in return but gratitude! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our pleasure Abisa.

Make sure you keep coming back eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our pleasure Abisa.

Make sure you keep coming back eh?

Ditto @ what harry said.

1) I will backup my Mac as suggested to protect my programs = Apps/Applications

And FYI in the Mac world we call our *programs* Apps or Applications. I though i would just mention this bc if you start talking to someone that owns a Mac and use the word programs, they will either think you are talking Window's or you just dont know what your talking about ;)

Good luck out there

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.