isight won't turn on (x through camera?)

Reaction score
I just sold my macbook (2006 model) to a guy and now the built in isight won't work. When he opens photo booth, it just shows the camera icon with an X through it. I've searched and searched but never saw anyone with this X through the icon. He restarted and still doesn't work. Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
This happened to my sister's MacBook. I did a reset on it and it worked.

It was a PRAM reset though if I remember correctly.

These are the instructions from Apple's site:

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
This happened to my sister's MacBook. I did a reset on it and it worked.

It was a PRAM reset though if I remember correctly.

These are the instructions from Apple's site:

This doesnt reset a lot of stuff right? just like the clock? could you give me a few things that would be affected?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
It worked, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
No problem. Glad it helped

Reaction score
ughh

I have the same problem! its driving me crazy. it wont let me use the camera on ichat or photobooth, and the green light won't even turn on. PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I have the same problem! its driving me crazy. it wont let me use the camera on ichat or photobooth, and the green light won't even turn on. PLEASE HELP!!!

So what happened when u did the reset above?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro unibody 15", 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I've got this same problem on a 15" unibody macbook pro (swappable battery version) with OSX 10.5.7 ... so far i've found that rebooting fixes the camera for a bit then it does it again, usually after a couple of days. Usually after sleep - so it will work while I'm out somewhere, I close the lid and put it to sleep, come home, try again ... dead camera.

I'm mostly using Skype. But when it gets this way nothing can access the camera hardware.

I'll try resetting the PRAM & NVRAM next time it occurs but can anyone report if this produces a fix PERMANENTLY (i.e. never re-occurs) - after all it could just be the reboot that resets the camera, a fix I've already encountered.

Reaction score
isight issues

i have reset my macbook several times and my isight won't turn on or read the internal camera is there another way to fix it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.