Glitchy screen on iMac 3.06 i3!

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently started getting a glitchy screen when doing certain things.
It started when using "Pixelmator", but it did it today when going into a Youtube video.
So i thought about doing a fresh install, went into time machine and that was all screwed up!

Like this.....

(I'd originally took a picture of the glitch in Time Machine, but the image glitched when i opened it!!! So i screen shot that instead!!)

I think it's hardware related, as it's now happening on lots of different software?!?!
I hope i'm wrong!!)

Any ideas whats going on?

I replaced the hard drive around 6 months ago and installed HDD Fan control. Just so ya know!!

Thanks in Advance!

Steve.... :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That would be video card related.

What Mac do you have?

C

chas_m

You might try DISabling any sort of fan control. I will never understand why people think they should manage the fans ... as though Apple forgot how to cool their computer (??). It could well be that your fan control software has *circumvented* the machine from being able to cool itself as designed, thus *creating* the problem.

OP
K
Reaction score
That would be video card related.

What Mac do you have?

Yeah i had a feeling it would be!

It's a 2010(i think!) 21.5" 3.06 GHz, with 12Gb Ram. Running Mavericks.

You might try DISabling any sort of fan control. I will never understand why people think they should manage the fans ... as though Apple forgot how to cool their computer (??). It could well be that your fan control software has *circumvented* the machine from being able to cool itself as designed, thus *creating* the problem.

The fans run at full speed without it!
The new HDD doesn't have the Temp gauge in it.
I actually have the fans set to come on at a slightly lower Temp than default.

C

chas_m

The fans run at full speed without it!
The new HDD doesn't have the Temp gauge in it.

THIS is what is causing your problem. This is a misinstalled HD botch job and it is destroying your logic board. If you don't get help to get this fixed properly, you're going to have a door stop in pretty short order. Your fan program isn't really helping much because without a temp gauge, the machine really has NO IDEA what temperature its running at, so the setting is essentially near-meaningless.

Find a certified AASP (service provider) and get them to undo the damage before you lose the entire machine.

Reaction score
Pixelmator artefacts

I HAVE BEEN HAVING THESE PROBLEMS ALSO AFTER USING PIXELMATOR. THE PROBLEM ALSO THEN AFFECTS OTHER APPLICATIONS LIKE PREVIEW AND IPHOTO.
READ MY CORRESPONDENCE WITH PIXELMATOR SUPPORT FOR THE EXPLANATION.

HOPEFULLY APPLE WILL FIND A FIX FOR THIS BUG

PAUL MONTEGRIFFO

Type your response ABOVE THIS LINE to reply
Paul Montegriffo
Subject: Artefacts/pixelation
MAR 19, 2014 | 06:21PM GMT
Motiejus replied:
OK, let me know if you'll decide that you'd like to switch back to an earlier version, I'll arrange it for you.

We're hoping the same!

Best,

Motiejus
MAR 19, 2014 | 05:59PM GMT
Paul replied:
Hi

Thanks for that. I think that before changing version I will try with smaller images as you suggested below.

Hopefully Apple will fix the glitch.

Regards

Paul
MAR 19, 2014 | 09:05AM GMT
Motiejus replied:
That's odd, it shouldn't be the case, however, it you'd like to do so then why not, just let me know which version you'd like to have.

Best,

Motiejus
MAR 18, 2014 | 09:34PM GMT
Paul replied:
Hi

Further to my earlier email, it appears that this problem did not occur with previous versions of Pixelmator. Is it possible to alter my current version (the latest) to an earlier one and when the problem is resolved I will revert to the latest version?

Best regards

Paul
MAR 18, 2014 | 07:48PM GMT
Paul replied:
Thanks

Let's hope Apple fix this glitch soon.

Paul
MAR 18, 2014 | 09:17AM GMT
Motiejus replied:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for reporting this. Apparently, it looks like this issue is related to the graphics card drivers that OS X Mavericks uses. Unfortunately, this is something that goes out of our scope. We were hoping that Apple will solve these issues with OS X 10.9.2 update, however, it appears that they've managed to solve it only particularly leaving some of the older hardware aside. Since you're not the first one reporting this, we're currently collecting the info about what hardware is still effected by these glitches and will be reporting it back to Apple.

In a mean time, the only workaround we've managed to find so far is to try downsizing the images to around 1000 - 2000 pixels at their longer side and only then try editing them. Sometimes this helps avoiding the pixelation.

We'll let you know as soon as we'll find any possible fixes that might help. Sorry for any inconvenience in a mean time.

Best,

Motiejus
MAR 17, 2014 | 10:07PM GMT
Original message
Paul wrote:

Hi

I have installed pixelmator Version 3.1 Marble (40107) with which I am very happy except that after working a while, the image I am working on suddenly is transformed into a mess of artefacts and pixelation. I can do nothing further. The problem is only solved by I shutting down the iMac ( 21.5-inch, Late 2009,Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3,Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)).

The image in question will not open correctly even in the preview. Nothing in particular seems to trigger this problem, except perhaps using layers.

What can I do to resolve this issue.

Many thanks

Paul Montegriffo
This message was sent to [email protected] in reference to Case #: 13236.
[[79227362fec25a7a0364cd6b16866dbff5ff969b-215000318]]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chas m advises the 2010 iMacs use a special heat sensor and only certain hard drives can be installed, and then suggested by Apple, by their own technicians. The first problem with the incorrect hard drive is the fans going like a jumbo jet full bore.

The fan control software was a suggested fix but actually there is no permanent fix.

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2011/05/20/imac-hdd-swap-no-way/

OP
K
Reaction score
I HAVE BEEN HAVING THESE PROBLEMS ALSO AFTER USING PIXELMATOR. THE PROBLEM ALSO THEN AFFECTS OTHER APPLICATIONS LIKE PREVIEW AND IPHOTO.
READ MY CORRESPONDENCE WITH PIXELMATOR SUPPORT FOR THE EXPLANATION.

HOPEFULLY APPLE WILL FIND A FIX FOR THIS BUG

PAUL MONTEGRIFFO

Type your response ABOVE THIS LINE to reply
Paul Montegriffo
Subject: Artefacts/pixelation
MAR 19, 2014 | 06:21PM GMT
Motiejus replied:
OK, let me know if you'll decide that you'd like to switch back to an earlier version, I'll arrange it for you.

We're hoping the same!

Best,

Motiejus
MAR 19, 2014 | 05:59PM GMT
Paul replied:
Hi

Thanks for that. I think that before changing version I will try with smaller images as you suggested below.

Hopefully Apple will fix the glitch.

Regards

Paul
MAR 19, 2014 | 09:05AM GMT
Motiejus replied:
That's odd, it shouldn't be the case, however, it you'd like to do so then why not, just let me know which version you'd like to have.

Best,

Motiejus
MAR 18, 2014 | 09:34PM GMT
Paul replied:
Hi

Further to my earlier email, it appears that this problem did not occur with previous versions of Pixelmator. Is it possible to alter my current version (the latest) to an earlier one and when the problem is resolved I will revert to the latest version?

Best regards

Paul
MAR 18, 2014 | 07:48PM GMT
Paul replied:
Thanks

Let's hope Apple fix this glitch soon.

Paul
MAR 18, 2014 | 09:17AM GMT
Motiejus replied:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for reporting this. Apparently, it looks like this issue is related to the graphics card drivers that OS X Mavericks uses. Unfortunately, this is something that goes out of our scope. We were hoping that Apple will solve these issues with OS X 10.9.2 update, however, it appears that they've managed to solve it only particularly leaving some of the older hardware aside. Since you're not the first one reporting this, we're currently collecting the info about what hardware is still effected by these glitches and will be reporting it back to Apple.

In a mean time, the only workaround we've managed to find so far is to try downsizing the images to around 1000 - 2000 pixels at their longer side and only then try editing them. Sometimes this helps avoiding the pixelation.

We'll let you know as soon as we'll find any possible fixes that might help. Sorry for any inconvenience in a mean time.

Best,

Motiejus
MAR 17, 2014 | 10:07PM GMT
Original message
Paul wrote:

Hi

I have installed pixelmator Version 3.1 Marble (40107) with which I am very happy except that after working a while, the image I am working on suddenly is transformed into a mess of artefacts and pixelation. I can do nothing further. The problem is only solved by I shutting down the iMac ( 21.5-inch, Late 2009,Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3,Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)).

The image in question will not open correctly even in the preview. Nothing in particular seems to trigger this problem, except perhaps using layers.

What can I do to resolve this issue.

Many thanks

Paul Montegriffo
This message was sent to [email protected] in reference to Case #: 13236.
[[79227362fec25a7a0364cd6b16866dbff5ff969b-215000318]]

Thanks for that Paul, that does seem to be the case.
If i don't open Pixelmator at all, the problem isn't there!!!

I had a feeling it could be the high res images of the Nikon D7100 that it was struggling with!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.