Turn Macbook screen off

Reaction score
I have connected my new Macbook to an external screen, however, when I turn off the native screen, the external screen also turns off.
I have used the Terminal option, the Hot Corners - Put Screen to Sleep option, the Control-Shift-Eject option and also reducing the lighting settings. If I close the screen, the external one also shuts down.
Is there a way to turn off the display without affecting the external screen?
Note: I am using the native keyboard, not an external one.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you. I was wondering if there is a way of doing it without having to use an external keyboard!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you. I was wondering if there is a way of doing it without having to use an external keyboard!

The only thing I can think of to do things the way you describe...

- MacBook connected to external monitor
- use MacBook keyboard
- turn off MacBook display & only use external monitor

...is to turn the MacBook's display brightness all the way down (MacBook's display will go dark).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, again; as I stated initially, yes, I tried that, but I am looking for a solution without the power drain of a running screen and the resultant overheating!
<Sigh> Seems it just cannot be done on my terms, so I better get myself an extra keyboard!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I am looking for a solution without the power drain of a running screen and the resultant overheating!

Firstly...I sure hope you're not trying to run your MacBook off it's battery while attached to an external monitor!

Also, if the MacBook is plugged in...the amount of energy needed to run the builtin display while using an external monitor is very very very small. Turn down the builtin display's brightness all the way down (till dark)...greatly reduces things further.

Secondly...having the MacBook's display operating does not cause or prevent any sort of "overheating". Heat generated by the MacBook is TOTALLY dependent on how hard the computers cpu and gpu are being utilized. NOT whether the builtin display is operating or not.

<Sigh> Seems it just cannot be done on my terms, so I better get myself an extra keyboard!

Maybe you have a special situation that you need to operate things this way. Otherwise...it's sort of unusual to want to use a Macintosh laptop with an external display, no builtin display, and want to use the builtin keyboard.

Usually when folks want to use just an external monitor with their laptop...they close up the laptop (clamshell mode with external keyboard attached)...get it out of the way (such as a vertical orientation)...and they are good to go.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all your contributions and helpful suggestions. Much appreciated by a newbie.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to help.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Firstly...I sure hope you're not trying to run your MacBook off it's battery while attached to an external monitor!

This is the second time I've seen this, and it's still a very odd thing to say (IMO). What difference does it make? The monitor is plugged into its own power, it's drawing nothing from the battery of the computer. Depending on what you're doing, the graphics card may have to work a bit harder which would produce a minor battery hit, but I run my MacBook Pro on battery attached to projectors or other monitors all the time (for presentations) and haven't noticed any significant difference in battery performance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the second time I've seen this, and it's still a very odd thing to say (IMO). What difference does it make? The monitor is plugged into its own power, it's drawing nothing from the battery of the computer. Depending on what you're doing, the graphics card may have to work a bit harder which would produce a minor battery hit, but I run my MacBook Pro on battery attached to projectors or other monitors all the time (for presentations) and haven't noticed any significant difference in battery performance.

You're not looking at things from the same perspective as I am...that's why it may seem confusing!;)

The OP mentioned being concerned about "power drain" in post #5. So my point was (if concerned about power drain)...if someone is close enough to an electrical outlet to plug an external monitor into...then why not plug the MacBook into the electrical outlet as well.

Then there are no power drain concerns of any sort.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah. Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Nick. Cheers!

The OP had a bit of an unusual request. Hopefully everything is good with them:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.