download woes.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro - 17, 2.33Ghz, 2 GB RAM : iPhone 8g
Kinda a newbie here. Switched March of this year and love it!!!! The last couple of months I've run into a bit of strange problem. It seems that certain files won't download. The browser seems to be trying, almost like it can't connect (Transferring data from xxxxx.xxx), but nothing...doesn't even time out. If I open another tab and go to a different site, other files download just fine. It is NOT the browser as I have tried both Safari and Firefox. The file types do NOT seem to be it either as some do and some don't.

Was in the Apple Store today and mentioned it one their guys and he had no clue...in fact he suggested I re-install. He must have been a Dell support tech before this .

I have tried running the various "clean up" utils and that seems to make no difference. These problems can be with video (wmv), downloads from Apple, updates to widgets, just doesn't seem to matter...dmg, zip, etc are all effected.

Other than that, this beast rocks the house!! Am learning all kinds of fun stuff, and probably suffering through some pain from ignorance, but I don't know any better so...

Any suggestions?

BTW...I am a manager at Dell, so I can poke fun. I also like to bring my impressive MacBookPro into the office from time to time and watch everyone drool

Reaction score
Try curling the downloads so you have something to compare to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
Apologies...what is this? Not familiar with this :Confused:

8287-00021.jpg

duh!

i think he mistyped it or something. i can't find anything relevent about "curling a download"

OP
a1dadio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro - 17, 2.33Ghz, 2 GB RAM : iPhone 8g
There is a "download manager" called cURL...but, of course, I can't download it :Angry-Tongue:

This is strange. Many thing work...many don't. Doesn't seem to be any real pattern. Have made sure that SpeedDownload is removed (have heard various things on this)...have done the apple jack thing on permissions...have tried diff download locations and even set browsers to prompt for location.

Any hints on a re-install? Will I have to do the backup, re-image and restore thing, or is there a way to keep docs, pics, etc. in tact? Gonna try calling Apple tomorrow as a last ditch effort, but this starting to become a pain.

M

MacHeadCase

8287-00021.jpg

duh!

i think he mistyped it or something. i can't find anything relevent about "curling a download"

<Off topic>

ROTFL

That's a good one! :D

Never heard of "curling a download" either.

</Off topic>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.