• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Releases OS X Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
My iMac crashed once since the installing Lion. The only program open at the time was the APP store and it was having issues. Has not happened again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
The Lion Up To Date doesn't seem to be working though. I enter my serial number for an iMac purchased from the Apple Store on 6/18/2011 and I get a message saying the serial number doesn't qualify.

Verified with an Apple Representative that they are having issues with Lion Up To Date verifications due to the heavy volume. They said to keep trying and it will eventually work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Van My Spotlight isn't still indexing. I did a clean install as well.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hmmm, well it is a tad slow here - it's really noticeable on larger resolutions when you try to maximize a window (the animation is a bit choppy). To be fair, I am running an early 08 MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hmmm, well it is a tad slow here - it's really noticeable on larger resolutions when you try to maximize a window (the animation is a bit choppy). To be fair, I am running an early 08 MB.

My choppiness I think is all caused by the spotlight indexing and time machine backing up right now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What is your resolution set to Van? I bet mine is set lower (vision). I will try mine at the higher resolution.

Reaction score
Yeah, my spotlight took about 20 minutes to index - much longer than I thought. Everything seems to be running great now though.

I'm glad I got in there early and downloaded Lion as soon as it was released. It took less than 15 minutes but now I'm trying to download Xcode and it's predicting 2 hours - I guess the Mac App Store is feeling the strain a little. Either way, I've not heard anywhere about it buckling yet so well done to Apple for their excellent servers.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My choppiness I think is all caused by the spotlight indexing and time machine backing up right now.
Still seems to be doing it here post-indexing. Oh well, I don't maximize apps all that often and even then, it's not all that bad. Maybe it's just Mendeley (as much as I love Mendeley, it is slower than every other app I have).

What is your resolution set to Van? I bet mine is set lower (vision). I will try mine at the higher resolution.
I have a dual monitor setup - the MB is at 1280x800 and the external is at 1920x1080.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It'll be interesting to see how many people start yelling when (unless they fixed it between GM and release) one finds they can only have one app full screen even with dual monitors...

Gets annoying when you run dual screens and want something full screen on one monitor with something else on monitor 2...

If it's been fixed, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Anyone here use photoshop, illustrator, indesign, lightroom etc? Any problems with Lion?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Gaahhh, 4 hours to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Just had my second crash (kernel Panic) since installing Lion. This time I had Chrome, Mail, and Calendar open. My only option was to do a Hard Shut-Down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am about 3/4 through the download, so I guess I might wait till tomorrow to install

I fancy a clean install, so I have Time Machine backing up as well as my startup disk cloned to boot from, as well as a just installed 4 gig of ram

I am going to loose 2 apps (PowerPC) but the trusty old G4 can now run them if I need to use Transtype Pro and Fontlab

Download is a bit slow but at least it isn't hogging all my download bandwidth - which means the web and radio 4 streaming is still cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is it possible to turn off the scroll bouncing? It's super annoying because there is too much bounce back in my opinion!

Reaction score
OS Lion Bugs/Issues/Annoyances

Its been less that about 12 hours since its release and can already see a fair few post with regards to Lions bugs, flaws and general annoyances (within the system itself, not the installing of).
Im hoping this thread will stop the forum from getting too flooded with duplicate posts and questions etc... and hopefully people will be able to offer up solutions or alternatives.
(Hope this is ok?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Just the way it should be. There's no reason for the average user to go messing around in the Library folder (either of them). This was a smart call on Apple's part.

Disagree. It's not like we're talking terminal hacking here. There's enough of a reason someone would need to get to their Library folder that they should have at least made it a preference item.

And if the Library is so dangerous, why didn't they also hide the main system Library?

Reaction score
Some OSX Lion good news for us "Capped" internet users

While Apple initially touted OS X Lion as being a Mac App Store exclusive, the company announced today that the new operating system will also be made available on a USB thumb drive beginning next month.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I thought the same thing too but Spotlight is chugging away and I'm also copying over a bunch of stuff (as always, I did a clean install). Is Spotlight still indexing?

Man, Spotlight took FOREVER to re-index. Even after it did, it kept briefly starting up the process each time I rebooted.

I manually forced an index rebuild and now it seems OK. Weird issue though - I wonder if it's a bug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.