• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

work around for H.264

Reaction score
If you got a new HD camcorder as a gift that records h.264 instead of something that either imovie 11 or final cut express can work with, whats the best work around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
iMovie and Final Cut should have no issues working with the h.264 files. If you're having trouble importing them, you might need to convert the files so they can be read by either program.

May I suggest, MPEG Streamclip - it works wonders. Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

If nothing else, you could exchange the camcorder for something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Is it a canon HD camcorder by any chance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
h264 is not designed as a format for editing. Use MPEGStreamclip and export to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
iMovie and Final Cut should have no issues working with the h.264 files.

Actually final cut handles H.264 terribly.
it is in my opinion unacceptably bad.
If you are working with H.264 I would recommend (like others have already) that you use MPEG Streamclip to convert to Apple ProRes 422 for the best results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
I am disappointed in the approach that Apple have to a very expensive machine. I find it totally absurd that you have to use a third party software to then use iMovie! I wish Apple would sort this out, I have had problems with the codec in terms of HD movies and Apple have done nothing to address this. I would suggest exploring Adobe Premiere Elements 9, as I recently purchased a copy and the finished results are very good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
If the OP truly has iMovie ( at least 09/11 ) iMovie will automatically convert the H.264 into AIC for editing. As for FCE/FCP a conversion would be necessary...AIC/ProRes 422 respectively...As others mentioned MPEG Streamclip would work...no surprises here...its a common workflow....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 5k Late 2015
As I understand, after doing much research as I am not a professional user, merely an amateur user wishing to produce decent quality video (!), iMovie and FCE use AIC (therefore the same results) and FCP does not utilise AIC, but as this is aimed specifically at the pro market, this would put this out of the reach of most amateur users.

It is a real shame that Apple's codec is not adequate for most camcorder formats in producing HD as per the native format. I would suggest that a free trial of Adobe's software would give the opportunity of testing their software, unlike iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
AIC is a Quicktime codec. iMovie converts all imported video to DV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.