issue with switching programs via dock

Reaction score
Hey,

Last week noticed a weird issue when I switch between programs via my dock.

Usually, whenever you have programs open and you click on the item via the dock, the item would pop up or you get taken to the desktop it is located on, and it pops up.

Now I notice that when i click on the item via the dock, it does not take me to the item anymore. NEither my desktop nor my programs popped up. It just stays as the current desktop.

Any ideas why? It is such a useful feature.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Move that file to your Desktop.
Click on the Dock, then the Desktop, then the Dock again.
This will create a new, default plist file.
Any better?

OP
I
Reaction score
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Move that file to your Desktop.
Click on the Dock, then the Desktop, then the Dock again.
This will create a new, default plist file.
Any better?

Nope. It did not create a new one. I still got the original file on my desktop.
I clicked one icon->desktop->icon. Nothing happend.

I did forget to mention that it does switch you look at the menu bar just the screen itself doesn't pop up.

(should I replace original file in there?)

I also just noticed that my spaces isn't enabled for some reason. It usually is. When i do go to enable it, the check box becomes marked but it does not lock in the change. Every time I go back, the box is unchecked. I usually have the spaces icon on my menu bar. It is there. but instead of displaying desktop number, it has all 4 squares there.

Maybe something wrong with my spaces?

Thanks
----
UPDATE---

Well after restarting my computer the doc seems to have reset to its original position (bottom of the screen, as compared to where I had it at the left side.) And the switching between Items works now. MYy spaces thing seems to work now.

So maybe that dock file i removed fixed the spaces issue to? That is still a little confusing to me.

But everything works good again now.Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, sorry. That worked for me one time, I swear. But, I had a Dock issue yesterday, and tried the same steps, and it did not make a new plist. I have since Restarted, and now have a new one, plus the one that's still sitting on my Desktop. As you've discovered, that restores your Dock to the defaults.

I really had trouble following all the ins and outs of your first post. So I'm not sure that you had two issues, but glad it's all good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.