Changing the date of the photograph?

Reaction score
I have scanned in many 35mm photo slides (15 boxes with 50 slides per box) and they are sitting on my small QNAP server. I have now imported these into my MBP 15" i7 750gb 2011. The problem is that all these slides although taken between 1975 and 1995 are all dated 2008 because that is when they were scanned in.

Is it possible to batch change this embedded default date of 2008 to the date that these pictures were taken so that they show in the logical date order they were taken with the 35mm camera when viewed in Events in iPhoto?

Examples:
Box 1 July 1975 shows September 2008.
Box 4 June 1976 shows September 2008.
Box 8 August 1980 shows September 2008.

This may or may not be possible in iPhoto! The search brings up nothing! If not is there a program that I can use to do this? I thought I saw something about date changing on the site, but another search reveals nothing.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Peter

OP
O
Reaction score

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Will "assume" it's the same with the current version - I'm still using iPhoto from iLife'08.

Open up iPhoto, highlight Events in the sidebar - highlight an event on the right side - on the Menu bar select Photos - Adjust Date and Time...

OP
O
Reaction score
Will "assume" it's the same with the current version - I'm still using iPhoto from iLife'08.

Open up iPhoto, highlight Events in the sidebar - highlight an event on the right side - on the Menu bar select Photos - Adjust Date and Time...

bobtomay

Absolutely brilliant. I had looked everywhere and for some reason had missed the obvious. Thanks a lot. Where do I send the beers to? I had to rebuild after I changed the one box that I used as a test. This box of slides now appears at the top of the list with October 1968 as the date they were taken. This is correct as that is the date I put in for all those slides.

One thing that does not happen! In the latest iPhoto (it may not be the same in version 8) when you are in Events and use the scroll bar at the side and scroll down there is a large box that appears in the middle of the screen that shows the events date. This does not show 1968 which is the date of the very first batch of slides I changed the date from 2008 back to 1968. See first paragraph.

Any thoughts on this? Is it something that Apple have missed? Perhaps they ought to be made aware?

Other than this small detail, this date change is going to be a god send for me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A screen shot if you can take one might help. Guessing it's just a pop up showing where you are in the list of Events? Don't think I have that - I don't get any box when I scroll through Events - but then I don't have many since I use Aperture and it has a Projects category instead of Events - don't have a box there when I scroll through either.

edit: Possibly quit iPhoto and open it back up?

OP
O
Reaction score
A screen shot if you can take one might help. Guessing it's just a pop up showing where you are in the list of Events? Don't think I have that - I don't get any box when I scroll through Events - but then I don't have many since I use Aperture and it has a Projects category instead of Events - don't have a box there when I scroll through either.

edit: Possibly quit iPhoto and open it back up?

Hi. After converting more it does show up. I was a little hasty when I first posted. Sorry if I caused confusion! When I open up the very first slide box (named BOX1) that I changed to October 1968 and show all the photos and start to scroll (the right hand scroll bar), up comes the oblong black box with the exact date. This is really good.

I would love to show you what it looks like, but as far as I can see (unless you know differently) I cannot keep the scroll bar active (showing the date box) and grab a screen at the same time. Can I? I am using a Logitech M505 wireless mouse and as soon as I press the left mouse and move the scroll bar down up pops the box. How would I grab the screen at the point. I could take a photo. :D

Edited. Managed it.

View attachment Date in iPhoto.zip

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Yeah, that is different than the '08 version - looks nicer, a lot cleaner looking than 08 - and nope, don't have that little pop up with the date like that even in the latest Aperture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.