Looking for photo software (free)(basic)

Reaction score
I've already got cs3, but I'm looking for a simple free program just to optimize pics for the web. I just need to re-size for web. adjust compression and tweak exposure settings ect...any ideas. I really don't like iphoto and I don't need the full power of ps just to put some snap shots on the web.

Also does any photo viewers offer the filmstrip view like on the pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I generally like resizing via photoshop. I usually just adjust the image to the size I want and save at maximum size/compression aspect.

I don't what size you need, but you can adjust file size via quality when you actually save. Most site I use allow 800 px max.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
domromer -- what is it about iPhoto that you don't like? It is a perfect app for what you want to do. Tell us your problems with it and we can help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I found a program the other day that was really useful for resizing a large amount of pics at once... It's called Downsize. You can: Set the maximum height or width, add a frame or border, add a watermark and adjust the compression quality. Fairly useful for mass-resizing.

OP
D
Reaction score
domromer -- what is it about iPhoto that you don't like? It is a perfect app for what you want to do. Tell us your problems with it and we can help.

It seems to have too many steps for such an easy task. I like to make thigs fast and simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
It seems to have too many steps for such an easy task. I like to make thigs fast and simple.

O.K., what steps? What are you trying to do? Tell us more and we can help you.
You already have the software, it is perfect for your needs, let us know how we can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Lightroom's a great canidate. You can setup up "developing settings" that will size the pictures, convert to .jpg, and fix exposure/levels automatically for all the pictures you choose. All you have to do is wait.

OP
D
Reaction score
To be honest I've only used Iphoto a few times. I resized pics for the web and it seemed to have as many steps as cs3. But without all the controls. If I was going to open up iphoto I might as well use photoshop. What I wanted was a stand alone program just for re-sizing. Which I've since found in imagewell. I'm just not a big fan of iphoto. i would use bridge/cs3 fist and Gimp if I didn't have those.

M

MacHeadCase

ImageWell has been around for at least 3 years that I know. Although I do like iPhoto 08 (I find it has been greatly improved and I can now use it), I think you'll like ImageWell: it is regularly updated and the Extras give you super added features. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.