MacPro hw compatability

F

flaggg

I'd consider myself very technically inclined (I primarily use Linux at work/home), and am considering getting a MacPro for home. I'm wanting a Mac for OSX and my laziness to deal with the problems Windows gives me. What is the upgradabilty of these systems?

RAM: Can I drop any 667MHz DDR2 buffered ECC DIMM like a normal PC and have it work, or is there a technical limitation that requires me to buy "Mac-Approved" memory? Are there any lists of memory that are known to work?

Video cards: I haven't looked at the specs in too much detail but I'm pretty sure my GeForce 7800GT is quite a bit faster than the 7300gt that comes with the MacPro. I don't think I'm going to have much luck, but can I use this?

HDDs: I don't think theres anything special in the HDD department, but if there is I want to know!

Displays: I currently have 2x Dell 24" LCDs I'd be using on the computer. I'm using them via DVI@1920x1200 - if I can't use these monitors with it it'd be a real killer, but it looks like the 7300 shouldn't have a problem with this.

How well does OSX handle dual displays? I'm not all that impressed with how Windows deals with multihead, although in Linux it's a dream to work with. Does OSX handle snapping and window placement and whatnot correctly? Am I going to cry when some boneheaded developer that writes software on a singlehead system goes crazy with dual monitors (I'm looking at you, fullscreen PC games!)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
any ram that is the right kind will fit. it doesnt have to be apple ram. dont know too much about ther graphics cards. you can fit 4 750 gb hdds in a macpro. you can use any display you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
RAM: Can I drop any 667MHz DDR2 buffered ECC DIMM like a normal PC and have it work, or is there a technical limitation that requires me to buy "Mac-Approved" memory? Are there any lists of memory that are known to work?

Yes, any RAM will work. I buy mine at FRYs or on-line.

Video cards: I haven't looked at the specs in too much detail but I'm pretty sure my GeForce 7800GT is quite a bit faster than the 7300gt that comes with the MacPro. I don't think I'm going to have much luck, but can I use this?

This is an area where you want to be careful. You either need to buy a card that says Mac compatible or be ready to re-flash a card to be Mac compatible.

HDDs: I don't think theres anything special in the HDD department, but if there is I want to know!

Any SATA-3 compatible drive should do. I prefer Western Digital or Maxtor, but that's me.

Displays: I currently have 2x Dell 24" LCDs I'd be using on the computer. I'm using them via DVI@1920x1200 - if I can't use these monitors with it it'd be a real killer, but it looks like the 7300 shouldn't have a problem with this.

You should be ok with this one. I think the stock cards will do dual DVI, but I'd check first.

How well does OSX handle dual displays? I'm not all that impressed with how Windows deals with multihead, although in Linux it's a dream to work with. Does OSX handle snapping and window placement and whatnot correctly? Am I going to cry when some boneheaded developer that writes software on a singlehead system goes crazy with dual monitors (I'm looking at you, fullscreen PC games!)?

Never done it, so I can't say, sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.