DVD drive broken?

Reaction score
Got a macbook a few years ago, (2010), and the dvd drive isn't working. It does not read cd's or dvd's including the startup/install disk. I was wanting to clean up the system and clear it out because it has alot of stuff that I'm wanting deleted so I can start it from scratch. but I can't reinstall the osx without getting the disk in.

it just makes loud noises then spits the cd out. any idea how I can fix this issue or who could look at it? dont think there would be warranty or anything left on it, though I will look into that

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
any idea how I can fix this issue or who could look at it?

Sure...replace the DVD drive with a working one.;) As far as having it looked at. You may be able to get a "Genius" at an Apple store to look at it...but those "noises" you mentioned it making...are not a good sign.

dont think there would be warranty or anything left on it, though I will look into that

If you didn't purchase extended Applecare...then the included 12 months of Applecare has long expired.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Sure...replace the DVD drive with a working one.;) As far as having it looked at. You may be able to get a "Genius" at an Apple store to look at it...but those "noises" you mentioned it making...are not a good sign.

- Nick

didnt think it was a good thing. i imagine changing the dvd drive isn't easy since mine doesn't have any panels or anything to open it from, its just a solid shell with the grip bottom liner to the best of my knowledge.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
didnt think it was a good thing. i imagine changing the dvd drive isn't easy since mine doesn't have any panels or anything to open it from, its just a solid shell with the grip bottom liner to the best of my knowledge.

These are actually pretty easy to open. There are access screws on the bottom...to remove the panel with the "rubberized" coating on it (I've done it a bunch of times).

Go to ifixit.com. They have assembly/disassembly procedures with photos that make the process much easier!:)

Some procedures are more involved than others...but you can do it...if you're properly motivated...or if you're already good with DIY projects like this.;)

Powerbookmedic.com is one place to purchase new or used DVD drives.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
i can give that a shot. is it possible to use an external/usb drive with the macbook? is there a specific type to get if it will or should any work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.