G3 w/OS 9 and G5 w/OS 10.4 - Which KVM switch will work?

Reaction score
I tried the Belkin Flip and it required OS 10 on both machines to work. Is there a switch I can use that is not system dependent? Is IOGEAR a good one? I bought the Belkin at CompUSA and they are clueless when it comes to Macs, even though they sell them. Appreciate any input. :eek:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I tried the Belkin Flip and it required OS 10 on both machines to work. Is there a switch I can use that is not system dependent? Is IOGEAR a good one? I bought the Belkin at CompUSA and they are clueless when it comes to Macs, even though they sell them. Appreciate any input. :eek:)

I don't believe any of them are system dependent - as long as the OS supports USB devices. It may specify particular OSes on the box, but frankly so did the TrippLite USB KVM that I use at work - and I use that with everything from Linux to DOS.

Find one that you like and buy it from a store with a good return policy. If it doesn't work out, you can always return it. I'm betting it's just that OS 9 is so old, they didn't bother to mention that it's compatible.

OP
R
Reaction score
I did try the Belkin Flip and my G3 wouldn't recognize it, that's why I thought it was system dependent. I am going to try a different one just thought someone could give me a particular brand that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.