Mac Mini blank expression?

Reaction score
A few days ago I was on XP (bootcamp) running a few usual programs that require windows to operate. I left the machine running for an hour while I went away.
My son (2 years old) unplugged the extension cable cause he didn't know better...
Now I can't remember if the machine was shutdown or not but when I started up the mini yesterday, I just got the grey screen with the chime, and there after just a black screen...nothing happens then...restarted but nothing helps.

I'm now in the process of trying to find the problem...I'll try safemode tonight but I was wondering if someone might have an idea as what the problem could be and where I might start to fix it.

Any pointers/advice will be much appreciated...I've searched the forum but apart from the safemode option I got no idea what it could be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would reboot while holding down the OPTION key until you get a list of bootable volumes. If successful, boot into OS X. If successful again, you should probably use Disk Utility or Onyx to verify/repair the disk, though that may not work on a Windows partition. If all checks out, try rebooting back into Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My son (2 years old) unplugged the extension cable cause he didn't know better...

Power? (Known as extension cord around here.)

If so, yikes! I'd be more concerned about the safety of the setup for the sake of the kid.

OP
C
Reaction score
I would reboot while holding down the OPTION key until you get a list of bootable volumes. If successful, boot into OS X. If successful again, you should probably use Disk Utility or Onyx to verify/repair the disk, though that may not work on a Windows partition. If all checks out, try rebooting back into Windows.

Thanks, I'll try that just now...hope fully it just a temporary glitch.

OP
C
Reaction score
Power? (Known as extension cord around here.)

If so, yikes! I'd be more concerned about the safety of the setup for the sake of the kid.
yes, extension "cord" then if you will, on my side of the globe its extension cable...and not as in for tv, but as for power.:D I always forget about the difference in terminology.

No need for concern, my wife was present, but unaware of any macs on the power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need for concern, my wife was present, but unaware of any macs on the power.

Ah! Having Mom around puts one's mind at ease, especially when she's faster than electrical current! ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Ah! Having Mom around puts one's mind at ease, especially when she's faster than electrical current! ;)
Very funny :Smirk:,
our plugs or sockets isn't the same as yours, they have safety clips which prevent you from touching the electric bits...and if my 2 year old may for some reason be capable of opening the safety clips which would be difficult task for even me, the mom is there...

if my home was anymore baby proofed, I would not be able to use it...now relax about the safety of my children,
I would worry more about the freakin' leopard that just passed through the field in front of the house.

now where was I, oh yes...I'm fixing the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'll try that just now...hope fully it just a temporary glitch.

That's where you were. So, did that work?

About the plugs/sockets (plug or outlet over here) - that's quite interesting. Sounds like a better safety measure that we have over here. We can buy little plastic "fake" plug-in things that are flat on the back of the "plug". These are difficult for a toddler to remove, but quite easy for an older child. I could imagine a persistent tot getting enough practice to be able to remove one.

OP
C
Reaction score
That's where you were. So, did that work?
Well, the funny thing is, when I turned on the mini, it gave the black screen again but after 20secs it started up in xp...I suppose it's due to the power interuption and that bootcamp just wanted to restart in xp cause thats where is was last...Don't know why it didn't want to start the other few times...maybe it just needed a break;D
About the plugs/sockets (plug or outlet over here) - that's quite interesting. Sounds like a better safety measure that we have over here. We can buy little plastic "fake" plug-in things that are flat on the back of the "plug". These are difficult for a toddler to remove, but quite easy for an older child. I could imagine a persistent tot getting enough practice to be able to remove one.
It's a good system and it works. We also got the fake plugs but mine is quite hard to remove, there is a small key with which you take it out but I end up swearing all the time when removing one as they can sit very tight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.