Charging with battery at 100% ?

Reaction score
On my previous laptops (not mac) if you charge the battery to 100% and leave the battery it in severely degrades the battery life. Is this the same on macs?

I noticed once the battery reaches 100% it doesn't get hot (where on my other laptops it would.

Does this mean my MacBook automatically cuts off power to the battery once it's reached 100% so i don't have to remove my battery when its fully charged? because everytime it reaches 100% i either unplug the charger or remove the battery.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Does this mean my MacBook automatically cuts off power to the battery once it's reached 100% so i don't have to remove my battery when its fully charged?
Yes. That is why you will notice that the icon in the menubar changes to an electrical plug over the battery image.
The battery is no longer "in use" and isn't being charged any more.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok, well i put my battery back in about 20 min ago. It was at 100% and now its 87%... 86% now.

Is it time for a new battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
can i jump in and ask how long is the warranty on the battery? is it same as the system 1 year? and does apple care extend the warranty of the battery too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
can i jump in and ask how long is the warranty on the battery? is it same as the system 1 year? and does apple care extend the warranty of the battery too?

The battery is covered under the warranty as part of the macbook, whether it be one year, or the three year extended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
woah, thanx for the input...

SWEET!!! 3 years warranty on the battery, yeah.. even better deal than my thinkpad, only the laptop had 3yrs warranty, the battery only had 1 year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Yes. That is why you will notice that the icon in the menubar changes to an electrical plug over the battery image.

So, leaving the the charger cord plugged to my macbook even if the battery is fully charged won't reduce the life of the battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Another battery question: I noticed last night that my battery charge indicator lights (on the battery itself) were on while the laptop was charging. I'm assuming that's normal?

I was putting it down and felt the table edge press on something (the button I assume), and when I looked the lights were on and didn't go off. Not that I stared at it for 5 minutes or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

Learn sumpin' new everyday here! I have been charging my battery to 100%, then thinking it will be overcharged so disconnected the power cord. Then when battery gets down to around 50% I charge again. Going through 2 cycles/day, so I want to save the battery. Was going to take it out, but if it stops charging at 100% this will solve the problem.

Wish Apple would provide a full guidebook to tell us all this stuff!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.