MacBook Pro Not Recognizing USB/Firewire

Reaction score
I have been searching different threads since yesterday and figured why not start my own. I have a Macbook Pro 10.5.3 2.16 GHz with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. The problem that I am having is that neither of the 2 usb ports nor the 400 firewire port is recognizing any of my external hard drives. I recently bought a 320 GB Verbatim Firewire/USB Drive and it is not mounting or showing up in the System Profiler, Disk Utility, or Drive Genius. It is formatted for Mac and works fine on my other Mackbook. I am having the same problem with other external drives on my Macbook Pro and I have tried using different cables. All of my drives do not use external power; they are powered via USB or Firewire. The lights on the drives are coming on when plugged in but the disk never mounts anywhere. Thank you guys in advance for any help. It is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.07Ghz, 768 MB / iPod Video / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
Somebody, please help....

sounds very like the problem I'm having with my ext HD except I can see mine in Disk Utility. Have alook in this thread. You might get something to work that I couldn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.