• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have nothing against the 5S. I just don't see much improvement for todays usage with it. 64-Bit maybe down the road but not now? Fingerprint? That scares me.

But I do agree with LB, Megapixels mean NOTHING by themselves. It's the Lens quality and with that processor and new lens it's an amazing camera. I disagree it's a SLR in every way but it's outstanding. I saw some shots Anand and his partner took, It's an excellent camera with far better pics than ones with much higher MP.

the whole MP thing reminds me of the High End audio people back when I was a kid. WATTS is everything, No it's not, Low Distortion, THD, IM and Transient IM is much more important than just WATTS. Also Watts at what frequency bandwidth.

I have owned 3MP cameras that took better pics than some newer poorly designed 6MP cameras.

It was the 5c that really did not impress me as it's a plastic 5 with the same specs. The lower price is nice though and I like the blue one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm sticking to my 2 year upgrade routine. iP4 -> iP5 -> iP6 (next year obviously)

I don't use a pass code to use my phone so the finger print thing is a feature that I thought looked "cool", but nothing more. Also, unless I'm mistaken, it can be turned off. You don't have to use your fingerprint to use your phone. Conspiracy theory averted.

I'm in the market for a new iPad, so I was kinda hoping they might throw in an announcement about a new line of iPads too. Oh well, maybe in a month or two.

Colors are interesting and I actually like the uninterrupted flow of a one-piece phone body. But it's just not for me. Don't like the gold color either.

Excited to get my hands on iOS 7 next week!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you provide a URL that says Fingerprint scanning to log in can be turned off? I have yet to see that mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Can you provide a URL that says Fingerprint scanning to log in can be turned off? I have yet to see that mentioned.

It was merely the impression I got from the keynote. I could be wrong, but I'm understanding it to be a feature the same as a lock screen is optional. If it's non-optional, that would really be annoying. Not everyone will want that feature. Hmm...

Reaction score
it's an 8 MP camera in a 13 MP world,

What does that even mean?

As has been pointed out already total nonsense comment. My DSLR is only 18 MP and the sensor is probably close to ten times the size of that in the iPhone if not more.

On another note Orange are claiming no pre-orders and I have to call them on the 21st. Not best pleased really. Just want to get my upgrade sorted now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This phone should've had a larger screen.

iPhone 6 will have a 6" screen . . . . .

Because, for many, the features aren't all that amazing. a 64-bit processor means nothing for the average user (for now at least), it's an 8 MP camera in a 13 MP world,

Then have a read of this. It doesnt emphasise MP but does where they are going with the phone
iPhone 5S and More About User Problems | Gearophile | Thom Hogan

How so? .

Im sorry but the way Infinity Blade III played and the detail, says better user experience and thats what Apple looks for . .

It's all about expectations and preferences. For example, I know that when I hold an iPhone, all I can think is "What is this? A centre for ants?" (bonus points if you get the reference)

My all time Fav movie . . . . Knew what yu meant straight away LMAO and still am. Going to watch it again today :p

"The centre has to be . . . . . . . . . . . . At least 3 times bigger than this !!"

Reaction score
My comments regarding larger screen size reflect the 'evolving' way I'm using a smartphone. It doesn't have to be as small as a phone because....I rarely make calls.

If I'm using my 'phone' as a computer, increase the screen size.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

As has been pointed out already total nonsense comment.
Most flagship phones have high megapixel counts for cameras (most averaging 13 MP). A simple look at the flagships now will make it crystal clear that this comment is far from nonsense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

As has been pointed out already total nonsense comment. My DSLR is only 18 MP and the sensor is probably close to ten times the size of that in the iPhone if not more.

I believe he's just making an observation as to why some people are unimpressed with the 5S, with those particular people being lemmings who are too focused on certain specs. I don't "think" vansmith is naive enough to fall into that line of thinking himself, but I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have nothing against the 5S. I just don't see much improvement for todays usage with it. 64-Bit maybe down the road but not now? Fingerprint? That scares me.

There are some apps that will benefit from the 64-bit move now from what I've read, but they are pretty specialized and do intense mathematical calculations. For the average user, I'd agree. Although at the same time, it's one of those things where you can't write software to take advantage of nonexistent architecture. Personally, I'm still very pleased with how well my 4S performs, but it's not keeping me from appreciating the advances in the 5S.

As for the fingerprint scanner... well we all know that Apple rarely nails a new tech feature right the first time. I'll be curious to see what shortcomings it has that will be ironed out in the iPhone 6.

the whole MP thing reminds me of the High End audio people back when I was a kid. WATTS is everything, No it's not, Low Distortion, THD, IM and Transient IM is much more important than just WATTS. Also Watts at what frequency bandwidth.

That reminds me of back in the 80's when some car stereo manufacturers would quote the THD at a single frequency that happened to be really really low, but bury the THD across the full range. I knew a guy who was all excited about a Kenwood car stereo because of its .001 THD. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was at a single frequency and that the overall value was much less impressive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are some apps that will benefit from the 64-bit move now from what I've read, but they are pretty specialized and do intense mathematical calculations. For the average user, I'd agree. Although at the same time, it's one of those things where you can't write software to take advantage of nonexistent architecture. Personally, I'm still very pleased with how well my 4S performs, but it's not keeping me from appreciating the advances in the 5S.

I am not against it but right now it's not much of a feature to write home about but in the future I am sure it will be the way to go.

That reminds me of back in the 80's when some car stereo manufacturers would quote the THD at a single frequency that happened to be really really low, but bury the THD across the full range. I knew a guy who was all excited about a Kenwood car stereo because of its .001 THD. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was at a single frequency and that the overall value was much less impressive.

Agree for sure. Specs like that really do not tell the true story. I have an 8MB Canon that overall looks better than a lot of 10-12 MP's I have seen because it even with my user error, takes clear pics. I have tried other higher MP cameras and the pics were blurred with my of late shaky hands. MP is not the only spec. At the end of the day the better looking pics win the game! :D Grin

If someone gave me a 5s I would use it and keep it. I just can not afford it right now and felt they could have maybe added a few more things. The screen size when you consider it's a phone does not bug me in the least. I would not want a larger phone. I want it to fit comfortably in my pocket thank you!

C

chas_m

I have, until recently, made plenty of money with a 6MP camera. My new one is 10.1MP.

Pixels are not the be-all and end-all of photos. Take lousy 13MP shot versus a great 8MP shot and you get one guess which one consumers care about getting more often.

I'll wait for better photographers and experts than I to test and weigh in on the iPhone 5S camera, but what little I've seen looks AMAZING. The sensor is bigger, the aperture is better, the pixels are larger and clearly the pre- and post- sensors and processing are improved.

If 13MP was better than 8MP in every case, then why is the most popular CAMERA in the world found on an iPhone? Why hasn't the 41MP Lumia stormed the market?

Reaction score
Most flagship phones have high megapixel counts for cameras (most averaging 13 MP). A simple look at the flagships now will make it crystal clear that this comment is far from nonsense.

Yeah but 13 MP means literally nothing as a stand alone figure.
Its a nonsense comparison. One almost invented by developers to fool people in to thinking they are getting something better than they are.
Compare images not pixels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

A few hands on reviews (USA Today springs to mind but they weren't alone) say you can still opt for passcode/swipe to unlock.

For me I don't see the big deal. What can anyone really do with my fingerprint that they can't do with all the other information that can be harvested in countless other ways?

And why hack it/capture it from my phone? Why not take it straight from customs when I went to the US? Why not from any one of the dozens of things I touch everyday?

For me the convenience (assuming it works sufficiently well) of easy access to my phone trumps any negative.

There have been fingerprint readers on works windows laptops for many years. Never have I seen any such assurance about how it will be used.
Apple say it won't leave the device. If it does.... look forward to a nice payout ;)

Interesting article about mass market biometrics here

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Im sorry but the way Infinity Blade III played and the detail, says better user experience and thats what Apple looks for . .
Was that because of the 64-bit processor?

Yeah but 13 MP means literally nothing as a stand alone figure.
Its a nonsense comparison. One almost invented by developers to fool people in to thinking they are getting something better than they are.
Compare images not pixels.
I believe he's just making an observation as to why some people are unimpressed with the 5S, with those particular people being lemmings who are too focused on certain specs. I don't "think" vansmith is naive enough to fall into that line of thinking himself, but I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong. ;D
Instead of once again responding to your claims that I'm making a nonsense comparison (which, in no way am I doing so), I'll just leave lifeisabeach's astute observation here as to why, to quote myself, "many" people will complain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
What i found out early about megapixel wars if everything else in the camera does not take an upgrade it equates to digital noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I was in the "meh" camp with the iPhone 5, but I don't understand why people aren't impressed with the 5S. It has dramatically improved processing power; significant improvements to the camera and flash, which I suspect will once again be proven to be best in class; a fingerprint scanner that, if it works as designed, will be a more pleasant alternative to unlocking with a PIN; the motion co-processessor that will open up some fitness tracking options, or improve upon existing ones. The switch to a 64-bit processor has more implications than some people think, though I don't think it will be beneficial now for much more than a handful of math-intensive apps, based on what I've read. All in all, I'd say this is a very impressive update. Why people think it isn't just baffles me. What, exactly, do those people want? Besides a giant screen?

Couldn't agree more. The 5S is a very impressive phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this little tidbit from an article via Daring Fireball:
Why the iPhone's fingerprint sensor is better than the ones on older laptops | CITEworld

With the new sensors you don't have to move your finger, just press it against the reader. And like the sensor in the iPhone 5S, the sensors that will be in laptops and keyboards and other phones can detect the ridge and valley pattern of your fingerprint not from the layer of dead skin on the outside of your finger (which a fake finger can easily replicate), but from the living layer of skin under the surface of your finger, using an RF signal. That only works on a live finger; not one that's been severed from your body.

What I want to know is... just HOW did they go about testing this????? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.