old mac worth upgrading?

Reaction score
Hey I now have a MacBook 13' white running 10.4.11 it has 2 gigs of ram and Intel core 2 duo processor. I also have a iPhone 4 I all ready upgraded to OSX 5. Can I upgrade the Macbook to a version that is compatible to the gd Iphone? If so what version should I upgrade to? Is this 3 year old Macbook to old to bother with? ( in anticipation of the answer) What do I do if I don't have an extra $1500.00 or so for a new machine?::Shouting: All I really need the Macbook is to store photos and access the internet once in a while. Also to match it up with my iPhone. It dose not have to be a work horse more like a little red wagon I get out once in a while and pull around the block a couple times. I know 3 years is a long time in computer years but please...... thanks in advance for any and all suggestions I even like sarcastic ones.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey I now have a MacBook 13' white running 10.4.11 it has 2 gigs of ram and Intel core 2 duo processor. I also have a iPhone 4 I all ready upgraded to OSX 5. Can I upgrade the Macbook to a version that is compatible to the gd Iphone? If so what version should I upgrade to? Is this 3 year old Macbook to old to bother with?

You sure can upgrade it. You could:

- upgrade the hard drive
- upgrade the ram
- upgrade the OS all the way to the most current version...OS 10.7.2

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. It's not "OSX 5"..it's "iOS 5".;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
That Macbook would be fine to upgrade, and can still run the latest operating system and applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would update the MacBook and save the money till you really need to upgrade the laptop.

OP
I
Reaction score
Upgrading old MacBook

Thanks for your reply. So now I should be able to to go to the App Store and purchase the latest version, download it and go. The nearest apple store is 25 miles from my home. Since I'm new to Mac would it be wise to make the drive, buy the disk and perhaps ask a few more questions? Or is it pretty simple? I've installed Windows countless times.:Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for your reply. So now I should be able to to go to the App Store and purchase the latest version, download it and go. The nearest apple store is 25 miles from my home.

If by "latest version" you mean OS 10.7 "Lion". To be able to have the "Mac App Store" (in order to do the download)...you need at least OS 10.6.6 installed. So if you're running OS 10.4.11 at the moment...you're going to need to install 10.6 first (then update it to 10.6.6 or better) then download OS 10.7 ($29.00) via the MacApp Store.

Since I'm new to Mac would it be wise to make the drive, buy the disk and perhaps ask a few more questions? Or is it pretty simple? I've installed Windows countless times.

If we're talking OS 10.7...there is no disk...but there is 10.7 on a USB stick ($69.00). If you purchased the 10.7 USB stick...then you would not need to purchase & install OS 10.6.

Link for 10.6 Snow Leopard:
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Link for 10.7 on USB Stick:
OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.