Dust accumulation — Mac Pro vs iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
Certainly dust drawn in by ventilation fans is bad for any computer, but I am wondering if it might be worse for an iMac, due to what seems a smaller interior space.

Would they require more frequent cleaning than a Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Does the iMac even have fans? I've never heard my wife's iMac make any noise at all, unlike my Quad G5...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Two fans: CPU and Hard Drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Two fans: CPU and Hard Drive.

Regards.

I guess I should just be amazed at how quiet they are. My Quad sounds like a jet at idle all the time.

Reaction score
it amazing the Imac quietness compare to the aircraft taking n landing sound of normal pc.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
it amazing the Imac quietness compare to the aircraft taking n landing sound of normal pc.....

Interesting phrase..."normal pc"!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
I always thought that the Imac would accumulate much less dust than a mac pro due to the fact it is on a desk, whereas the mac pro could be on the carpet or floor where there is a lot more dust. Also there aren't too many places dust can enter into an imac, but once dust does get in, there is no doubt that is difficult to get out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I always thought that the Imac would accumulate much less dust than a mac pro due to the fact it is on a desk, whereas the mac pro could be on the carpet or floor where there is a lot more dust. Also there aren't too many places dust can enter into an imac, but once dust does get in, there is no doubt that is difficult to get out.

x2 on everything said there!

Due to the design of the Mac Pro with its 'cheese grater' exterior design a lot of dust can get sucked inside. However, when I clean mine out every two months with an air compressor I am actually surprised how little dust there is inside.

As stated above, once dust gets inside an iMac its going to be a lot harder to remove as you can't just whip of the side panel and blast some air around inside. The fact that it will sit on a desk does make it for that though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
My 17" MBP has started getting quite a build up of dust in the ports along the left hand side of the unibody. Seeing as there is no vents, I'm guessing these ports are used for ventilation?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My 17" MBP has started getting quite a build up of dust in the ports along the left hand side of the unibody. Seeing as there is no vents, I'm guessing these ports are used for ventilation?

Yes. And of note... The new unibody construction also relies on dissipating heat by conduction through the body to the outside surrounding air. That's why it's important not to use it on a carpet, your lap, bed, etc. A notebook stand can help.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Thanks, that explains things. I have made my own desk riser, which should aid cooling. Thanks again.!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.