Boot-Up and Generally Sluggish MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hey!

So i though that i would give this forum a shot.

Previous to my Mac recently having all hardware serviced, it began booting incredibly slowly ( up to 10 minutes ) 1) to a grey screen 2) then screen off 3) to a dark blue screen 4) to a light blue screen and finally 5) to my desktop back ground. This whole process can take up to 10-12 minutes all with the absence of any 'start-up chime' of loading symbol ... :\

Along with this problem, whilst awake and running, my computer is generally sluggish and performs to a low standard. Its very surprising due to the fact that my computer is a 2011 model and I have had it for just over 1 year.

The recent work involved a cleaning of the interior of the computer along with replacement keyboard and PSU adaptor.

Having read a lot of other forum posts I have gathered that I might need to restart my computer with the original instillation disk inserted and perform some type of repair. However my original disk is about 200 miles away form my current location. I was wondering if I can perform any repair or further troubleshooting without it ... ?

I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to programming so be kind in reply, nevertheless any feedback would be much appreciated as this computer is becoming an infuriating factor of my life haha.

Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When was the lat time you repaired permissions?

How full is your hard drive (gigs used/gigs free)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
First things first. Can you tell us a bit more about your machine? Is it a new MacBook Pro or an older model? What is the CPU inside? How fast is it? How much RAM do you have? Finally, which operating system are you running (Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard, etc.). These details are going to make it easier for us to help you diagnose the problem and hopefully solve it.

If you need help finding this information, click on the Apple logo in the upper right of the screen and select About This Mac. That should tell you what we need to know.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey ! Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have 383 out of 500GB FREE. So I have barley used any space.

2) I have never 'repaired permissions' - I don't have a clue why of how, or what that means.

Apologies for my lack of knowhow.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need to double-post...threads merged.

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey ! Thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have 383 out of 500GB FREE. So I have barley used any space.

Sounds good...just checking

2) I have never 'repaired permissions' - I don't have a clue why of how, or what that means.

Procedure:

- open "Disk Utility"
- select disk to repair permissions on (left side of window)
- click on "Repair Permissions" button
- wait for repair permissions to complete

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok its loading... (repairing Permissions for Macintosh HD) ? there is a list of three i could have chosen from.

Just select the name of your computers hard drive.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Just select the name of your computers hard drive.

- Nick

Ok so its been loading for a 20minutes and seems to be stuck on 2minutes, would you advise me to "stop permission repair" or to just let it plough on through ?

Cheers Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so its been loading for a 20minutes and seems to be stuck on 2minutes, would you advise me to "stop permission repair" or to just let it plough on through ?

Cheers Simon

Just hang in there...it should eventually complete. The more "stuff" it's repairing...the greater the chances this was the source of the slow computer issues.:)

When the repair permissions is complete. Quit disk utility...and reboot the computer. Please let us know if your computer is better.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey nice one! Just got your final message. I'll reboot now and give you a shout in a minute ( hopefully) haha !

Cheers

Simon

OP
M
Reaction score
Just hang in there...it should eventually complete. The more "stuff" it's repairing...the greater the chances this was the source of the slow computer issues.:)

When the repair permissions is complete. Quit disk utility...and reboot the computer. Please let us know if your computer is better.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Hey! back. So that bit of advice certainly sped up my re-boot by about 5 minutes. However it still takes around 5 minutes, with no chime or loading screen. Repetition of the changing screen colours persists but as I said overall, a little quicker.

Would it help if I repeated what procedure you explained to me ?
Or is there anything else I could attempt ?

Thanks

Si

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey! back. So that bit of advice certainly sped up my re-boot by about 5 minutes. However it still takes around 5 minutes, with no chime or loading screen. Repetition of the changing screen colours persists but as I said overall, a little quicker.

Would it help if I repeated what procedure you explained to me ?
Or is there anything else I could attempt ?

Thanks

Si

Well...good to hear that things sped up a little bit...but too bad still having issues.

I can suggest two more things:

1. You could try downloading & running the free program "Onyx":

Download OnyX for Mac - Mac OS X maintenance and optimisation tool. MacUpdate.com

Run all of it's default routines...and see if this helps

2. Even though this is a 2011 MacBook Pro...there is always the possibility that the hard drive it bad. Since this is a 2011 MacBook Pro (with at least 12 months of Applecare on it)...and you're having problems...it may just be best to head to your nearest Apple Store (or call Apple to ship it to them)...for diagnosis.

This may not be convenient or desirable...but if the hard drive is the problem...there's nothing we can do that will fix it if it needs to be replaced.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Well...good to hear that things sped up a little bit...but too bad still having issues.

I can suggest two more things:

1. You could try downloading & running the free program "Onyx":

Download OnyX for Mac - Mac OS X maintenance and optimisation tool. MacUpdate.com

Run all of it's default routines...and see if this helps

2. Even though this is a 2011 MacBook Pro...there is always the possibility that the hard drive it bad. Since this is a 2011 MacBook Pro (with at least 12 months of Applecare on it)...and you're having problems...it may just be best to head to your nearest Apple Store (or call Apple to ship it to them)...for diagnosis.

This may not be convenient or desirable...but if the hard drive is the problem...there's nothing we can do that will fix it if it needs to be replaced.

- Nick

Ah thanks a lot for your help, seeing as the computer is insured by my University I'll have to just get them to sort it out.

Two more question please,

1) is there a copy of Onyx that will run on my computer
2) I have trouble with FireFox...It was fine until today but then just ceased to work. I deleted from my computer, re-downloaded and installed it but even after all of that it just seems to make my computer totally crash ?

Any light ?

Thanks
Si

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) is there a copy of Onyx that will run on my computer

What's wrong with the Onyx link provided above? It's for OS 10.7 & higher...and if you have 2011 MacBook Pro...you're probably running 10.7.

2) I have trouble with FireFox...It was fine until today but then just ceased to work. I deleted from my computer, re-downloaded and installed it but even after all of that it just seems to make my computer totally crash ?

Any light ?

I'm not sure what the question is;)...but with what you're describing...I don't think Firefox is the issue regarding the slow computer. You could always use Safari or Chrome.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.