RAM memory doubt

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am computer illiterate and I'd appreciate if you could help me out.

I have a MacBook 5,1
Mac Os X Version 10.5.8
Porcessor: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Boot ROOM Version: MB51.0070.B03

As you can see it is almost from times Before Christ, and I want to update it.

RAM memory:
- Is it possible to install 8GB RAM memory in this model?
- Apple stuff is extremely expensive. I have seen this Kingston one (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Notebook-KTA-MB1066K2-8G/dp/B001PS9UKW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) It will woek in my machine?

Processor:
- Do I need a better SSD to install a new Operating System? I want to get Mountain Lion. Is it possible?
- Which SSD model should I get? 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB?

OS X:
- In case Mountain Lion didn't work, which OS would you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance from a desperate man.

javier

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Mactracker, your MacBook can take 8 GB of memory. That would be 2 x 4GB modules and can run the latest version of OS X = Mountain Lion.

However, since you're currently running Leopard, you'll first have to purchase a Snow Leopard DVD from Apple ($19.99), update to OS X 10.6.8 and then access the Mac App store and purchase Mountain Lion by download. ($19.99)

As far as purchasing an SSD is concerned, I would not consider anything less than a 256 GB model. But that will be up to you of course depending on your budget.

OP
J
Reaction score
According to Mactracker, your MacBook can take 8 GB of memory. That would be 2 x 4GB modules and can run the latest version of OS X = Mountain Lion.

However, since you're currently running Leopard, you'll first have to purchase a Snow Leopard DVD from Apple ($19.99), update to OS X 10.6.8 and then access the Mac App store and purchase Mountain Lion by download. ($19.99)

As far as purchasing an SSD is concerned, I would not consider anything less than a 256 GB model. But that will be up to you of course depending on your budget.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! Just one more doubt. Do you know if I can purchase anz kind of RAM or is there a brand which is not compatible with Apple or my MacBook?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We usually recommend purchasing memory from either Crucial or Other World Computing.

Stay away from discount memory on eBay, Craig's List, or what might be too inexpensive to be true. Also, Other World Computing sells a very good line of SSD drives. Take a look at them while you're on their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5,1 - 2 x 3.46GHz, 128GB; MacPro 1,1 - 2 x 3GHz DC, 32GB; PowerMac 7,3 - 2 x 2GHz PPC, 8GB
Second that. I've got a 256GB OWC Mercury SSD in my MacBookPro that predates yours (max = 3GB RAM, 667MHz) and it dramatically increased performance.

I've got OWC Mercury drives in PowerBookG4 (IDE SSD), MacBooks, G5 and MacPro - and they have been great so far. Also have upgraded MANY Macs with memory from OWC - lifetime warranty, though I've not had any issue, except ONE in which a finicky iMac would simply not take the memory I was trying to install. Two sets. No go, but OWC had ZERO problems taking the returns. Has to abandon that one, but I blame the computer since the memory worked in another machine.

C

chas_m

Another and WAAAY cheaper option for SSD-like performance on an older machine like yours is what's called a "hybrid" hard drive. Basically it's a regular hard drive PLUS an 8GB SSD partition fused together. You get 90 percent of the speed of a typical SSD for the price of a regular hard drive, and all the capacity of regular hard drives (up to 1TB, in fact!).

Something like this: Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014: Computers & Accessories

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your answers. I am going to buy the 8GB kit in Other World Computing and see how my poor Mac performs. Afterwards maybe I purchase also an SSD or some kid or "Hybrid" hard drive. But as you guys can imagine I do not need my machine to be that powerful, so maybe with the new RAM memory it is enough. I will keep you update (because probably I will have many more doubts)

Gracias!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.