Reading a PDF on a PC sent from an APPLE Mac

Reaction score
Can anyone offer a solution to this problem.
When I send a PDF from my IMac using 10.6 Leopard mail some people can not receive them. It doesn't matter if I create them from print - save as pdf or scan a document. It also doesn't matter if it is a pdf that I get from somewhere else.
It is only some people that can't receive them. I think it may have something to do with security settings bur I don't know for sure and I don't know how to change them.

Can anyone please shed some light on this and offer some advice.

Many Thanks

Phil

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's only some people that can't receive the PDF files, it's probably a security setting that's blocking them on their end. The folks that are having problems need to change the setting in whatever mail or AV program they're using to allow the PDF files to be received and opened.

C

chas_m

It could also be that they've neglected to install Adobe Reader on their PC. PDF reading isn't built into PCs the way it is on Macs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed as I have never had a PDF I made on my Mac not read on any PC I have tried it on. Windows has never included support for PDF's that I have ever seen built in. Download Adobe Reader. It's free.

The other day though I actually ran into a PDF made on Windows using latest Adobe Acrobat that Preview on OSX would not display! Showed empty pages. So I grabbed Adobe Reader for OSX and it was fine. Still not sure why Preview was not displaying the content as every other PDF I have opened has been fine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That could well be the reason, however, I recommend and use the free Foxit Reader. The Adobe reader for Windows is bloated, slow, and prone to errors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The other day though I actually ran into a PDF made on Windows using latest Adobe Acrobat that Preview on OSX would not display! Showed empty pages. So I grabbed Adobe Reader for OSX and it was fine. Still not sure why Preview was not displaying the content as every other PDF I have opened has been fine.

I've seen that several times, opened defects on ADC a couple times about them too. I believe there are some subtleties that just mess with Previews rendition.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I've seen that several times, opened defects on ADC a couple times about them too. I believe there are some subtleties that just mess with Previews rendition.

Schweb once mentioned this same thing to me. I finally ran into it with a PDF I was working on from a friend. Only Acrobat would open it.

C

chas_m

Certain kinds of advanced PDFs are not openable in Preview because they are either using encryption or pre-press PDF/X standards that Preview is not designed to deal with. Preview is many things, but when you're using it as a PDF reader it can only read basic PDF format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.