How do I open .do files in Snow Leopard?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From my research, it would appear to be something that should be run from a webserver. How did you get the bill?

OP
H
Reaction score
I appreciate the answers. And that's what I thought. But I can't get safari or firefox to open it. I've tried "open as" and drag and drop.... nothing. Could I be doing something very wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Could it be corrupt - ask them to send it again. Also buys you a bit of time - non payment due a file u couldn't open.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mine auto opens in Preview.
And it is available in your account online.

OP
H
Reaction score
Mine auto opens in Preview.
And it is available in your account online.

Yep. That's where I'm getting the file. I've downloaded a dozen copies, from different months, etc. I'm pretty sure it's not a corrupted file at this point.

Not to be dense here or anything... but it's really not opening. Not in preview, not with Safari, not with Firefox. Could I be missing something else? Do I need to edit the extension?

I'm running 10.6.2, and I've this is the first issue I've ever had with a file format.

OP
H
Reaction score
Bump in hopes of getting an answer from someone much smarter than I... I'm still stuck despite my advanced google-fu. :[

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Forgot about you here... senility ya know...

How are you downloading it? All I did while I was viewing the statement online in Safari - went to File - Save As... and saved it to the desktop.

Have you tried a right click on the file, then 'Open with' and selecting Preview ?

OP
H
Reaction score
Forgot about you here... senility ya know...

How are you downloading it? All I did while I was viewing the statement online in Safari - went to File - Save As... and saved it to the desktop.

Have you tried a right click on the file, then 'Open with' and selecting Preview ?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I've tried all of those. But I'll detail it here for clarity:

1. I click on the link to the file.
2. A finder pop-up appears and asks to save or open. Both have the same result (and save a copy the desktop or downloads folder)
3. The preview of the file is blank white.
4. If I clicked "open", a safari/firefox window will open with just a blank face. No other activity. Just like opening a new tab.
5. If I saved it I right-click for (open as). Safari and Firefox and Preview are all grayed out. I click "manually select" and choose one of the three above. Nothing. Like a blank tab again.

Could I be doing something very wrong? Or is there some system preference dealing with file extensions that I'm not aware of?

Kindest,

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Item #1 is taking place from:

an email link they have sent you

or

you are online and logged into your Dish account?

Reaction score
I assume we are talking about a URL of some kind, maybe in an e-mail. A .do extension in most cases represents a Struts URL. Struts is a Java-based web framework for implementing web applications. Nothing in OS X will open a .do file. You need the full URL (host and path) then you can open it in a web browser. For example,

http://www.dishnetwork.com/bill.do

If all you have is "bill.do" you are out of luck. If you are downloading files from a web site and saving them locally, change the name from "bill.do" to "bill.html". That might work better. Good luck.

OP
H
Reaction score
Item #1 is taking place from:

an email link they have sent you

or

you are online and logged into your Dish account?

Both, unfortunately. But most often I try to log in to get it.

I assume we are talking about a URL of some kind, maybe in an e-mail. A .do extension in most cases represents a Struts URL. Struts is a Java-based web framework for implementing web applications. Nothing in OS X will open a .do file. You need the full URL (host and path) then you can open it in a web browser. For example,

http://www.dishnetwork.com/bill.do

If all you have is "bill.do" you are out of luck. If you are downloading files from a web site and saving them locally, change the name from "bill.do" to "bill.html". That might work better. Good luck.

Hmm. All I get is "bill.do". Either way I try to open it. I tried to change the extension to "Bill.html" but it opened up a hundred jibberish characters with no spacing, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Reaction score
Something isn't right, you should be able to cope with the file. Maybe you could explain in detail, step by step, what you are doing. You should be able to download and open the file, but we need to know what type of file you are actually downloading. If the file is a PDF, then rename it with a .pdf extension. The problem is we don't know what type of file you are downloading. The .do extension is a red herring. Technically speaking that is just a mapping used to map requests to the Struts servlet on the server, not your client. It has no bearing on what you are trying to do beyond the fact it is handling the request and sending the file.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know what to tell you. In Safari, I did have the link to "Statements" open in a blank white page one time today. Clicked the back button tried it again, which took me to this page:

20100331-fmfftea12xyxc2i6adatwqc31d.jpg

Clicked on 'View Current Statement' and it opens right up.

ukchuck - the url is as you suggest - "https://.../.../.../viewStatement.do"

Doing a File - Save As - saves it as a pdf.

OP
H
Reaction score
Don't know what to tell you. In Safari, I did have the link to "Statements" open in a blank white page one time today. Clicked the back button tried it again, which took me to this page:

20100331-fmfftea12xyxc2i6adatwqc31d.jpg

Clicked on 'View Current Statement' and it opens right up.

ukchuck - the url is as you suggest - "https://.../.../.../viewStatement.do"

Doing a File - Save As - saves it as a pdf.

Okay, guys. It's fixed. I changed the extension to .pdf and it's fine. It still won't save it as a pdf or anything, and adobe won't open it. But if I change the extension it is perfect.

Thanks for the help. Really great that you guys were willing to lend a hand. The .do being a bit of a misdirection was a helpful way to understand it, too.

Again, all's working now. I owe you guys a beer.

Reaction score
I was about to ask a follow-on question when I saw your update. Glad you at least have a workaround.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.