Thoughts on buying a used/refurb mac?

Reaction score
I currently own a Dual 1.8 G5 PowerPC Tower. I bought it back in 2004 and while there isn't anything wrong with it I have been thinking about upgrading to a Mac Pro Intel model.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with buying a refurb mac from apple or a used mac from somewhere like PowerMax. Seems like you can get more for your money that way. Although PowerMax only offers a 90 day warranty on used machines. Not sure what apple's warranty is on refurb macs.

Is it worth it to try and save that way? Or is it better to just bite the bullet and buy new?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This one is a no brainer.

BUY a refurbed Mac. You get as you stated, you get more for your money and the  warranty is the same as a new machine.
There has been a lot of members on here that have gone the refurb way and they couldnt be happier.
IMO i would (and i will) buy a refurbed Mac. I looking at the MB Al Unibody and ill save myself nearly AUD $300. It will come with only 2GB but ill rip the 4GB i have in my current MB and do swappies lol
Enough about me and MY Mac and back to yours..
DO IT You certainly wont be disappointed

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...or a used mac from somewhere like PowerMax. Seems like you can get more for your money that way. Although PowerMax only offers a 90 day warranty on used machines.

In my humble opinion buying a used Macintosh from just about ANY online store is a BIG RIPOFF!!! These online stores charge WAY WAY more than these used Mac's are worth. Sure you get a decent return policy & a SHORT warranty period...but you are paying thru the nose for those benefits.

I feel pretty strongly about this...and that's why I using pretty strong "verbiage".

I would estimate most online stores are selling used G5 computers for something like 50% more than they are worth...and older Powermac G4's that are worth something like $30 bucks...are selling for over $100.

If you want to get the most for your money in terms of a used computer...go to e-Bay or Craig's List. Of course you don't get a return policy or warranty...so you got to be careful what you buy & ask lots of questions.

If you're looking for a new model Macintosh...buying a refurb. directly from Apple is definitely the best way to go!!!:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
+1 for directly from apple. Pretty much foolproof once your bought from them because they are such a reliable company

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.