Update Motherboard on MBP15

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 with 3.33Ghz 6-core, and 16GB RAM
Hello All.. I have a 2004 MBP15" A1150. Everything works fine, but it is so painfully slow these days. I would like to replace the motherboard and processor. Any guidance on what board(s) or processor I should use and anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Paras

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello All.. I have a 2004 MBP15" A1150. Everything works fine, but it is so painfully slow these days. I would like to replace the motherboard and processor. Any guidance on what board(s) or processor I should use and anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Paras

In 2004, Apple's laptops were known as "Powerbooks", not "MacBooks". They started calling them "MacBooks" in 2006 with the shift to Intel processors. The model number "A1150" can be any of a number of 2006 MacBooks. So... either your year is wrong or the name/model # is wrong. You didn't mention what your CPU clock speed is either.

At any rate, replacing the motherboard to "upgrade" it isn't something normally done. At best, if you have the lower-end CPU that came with your laptop, you may be able to get the faster one that was an option at the time. Given the age of your equipment, you aren't likely to see a noticeable improvement. Your best performance improvement options, short of replacing the laptop outright, are to max out the RAM and swap the HDD for an SSD.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my year is wrong... it's 2006 and the CPU is the 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo.

However, what I'm asking is suggestions for a new motherboard and CPU. I'd like to reuse the HD (which I've upgraded), 2GB RAM, display, keyboard, chassis, etc. I know it will be a square peg into a round whole task, but I'm asking for feedback on upgrading it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my year is wrong... it's 2006 and the CPU is the 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo.

However, what I'm asking is suggestions for a new motherboard and CPU. I'd like to reuse the HD (which I've upgraded), 2GB RAM, display, keyboard, chassis, etc. I know it will be a square peg into a round whole task, but I'm asking for feedback on upgrading it.

You have the fastest CPU available for your model MacBook and no one makes aftermarket board upgrades. You are at a dead end. There are no suggestions left to give. You can't simply take a motherboard from a later model and pop it in... so many things change from one model to the next, not the least of which is where the ports are positioned. Boards from even the next model likely wouldn't even fit, and certainly nothing more recent would fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And seven years is a great run.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, seven years is a really great run... thank you, gentlemen, for your thoughts. I'm aware that the ports wouldn't fit, etc. I'm not looking for something pretty and am OK with punching new holes in the body, etc. for use in a home workbench environment. However, the rest of the system.. the LCD, camera, the new HD I've put in, bluetooth, temp sensors, ambient light sensors, hinge clutch, etc... there is a lot here that works well and, short of recycling the entire thing, I'd like to repurpose the working components to build a system that can be used with Mountain Lion and more modern applications. In order to make this happen, I will fundamentally need to have a new motherboard and processor; but there is obviously no point in getting the latest and greatest to support (for example) a retina display if the LCD is an '06.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on a newer motherboard / processor that I might look to use with this chassis. I'd like it to not kill the bank, but also fit in the body, and use with the rest of the components available. It appears the logic, I/O, and WiFi boards are individual boards, so I can probably just replace the logic board.

Thanks for the discussion.
Paras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't understand... no one actually does what you want to do. It "may" be technically possible with enough creativity and a LOT of frankensteining, but no one knows because no one does it. These things are packed tight with every component designed to fit in the small amount of space available. And every time Apple revises the MacBook, parts change to some degree and things don't fit the same way. Even the connectors may change. The cables for your LCD panel may literally not plug into the board for a much later MacBook model. There are other changes like the RAM. The 2008/2009 model uses 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM. Yours uses 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM. In other words, you wouldn't be able to re-use your RAM.

Tell you what... take a look at the teardown guides on iFixIt. Here's the one for your model:

MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo Model A1150 Repair - iFixit

And here's one for the late 2008 model, which can run Mountain Lion:
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2008 and Early 2009 Repair - iFixit

The battery compartments alone have been completely redesigned. All the connectors, internally and externally, are in different places. The fans are in different places. The logic boards themselves aren't even remotely similar in shape. Here's yours:
MjnePGsact1stf5y.medium

And here's the 2008 logic board:
CKuyGKoCdUmojElV.medium

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Have you done any research regarding the cost of logic boards? Apple parts usually hold their value...so even a good used logic board can be costly.

For example...a good used replacement logic board for your computer on e-Bay would cost around $150-$200. A newer & better logic board would cost more.

We get questions from lots of folks who have spilled liquid on their computers (damaging the logic board)...and in many cases...it's not worth the investment to replace the logic board (cost of a replacement too high).

I realize that you want to install a newer/faster logic board. In the Macintosh/Apple community...the swapping of logic boards is really not that common of a thing to do. Mostly because Apple may make small or large changes internally...making a logic board swap impossible.

So because so few people do it (maybe because there are so few situations that it is possible)...getting exact info to pass on is very hard to find.

My recommendation would be to sell your current MacBook Pro (Mac2Sell.net used value indicates around $450)...take the $200+ you would spend on a replacement logic board (if it was possible)...and with around $650 purchase a newer used MacBook Pro.

Or add even more than $200 to the budget...and get an even better/newer MacBook Pro!:)

What I'm trying to say is...sometimes investing more $$$ into an older Apple computer just isn't worth it. Selling the old computer...adding some cash...and buying something newer is the best way to go!:)

HTH,:)

- Nick

p.s. I'm currently using a 2011 13" MacBook Pro that I purchased used for $350...and I guarantee you...it will run circles around a 2006 MacBook Pro.;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... thanks a lot for the info, guys! I'll look at selling it and purchasing a new-to-me MBP.

Best regards,
Paras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OK... thanks a lot for the info, guys! I'll look at selling it and purchasing a new-to-me MBP.

Best regards,
Paras.

Smartest move.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only possibility is this: Early Minis had socketed CPU's. I am not sure on the early MBP but will check. If the CPU is in a socked like my 2006 Mini, you can get a C2D and install it. Don't get your hopes up though as on notebooks not sure what Apple did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.