Apple TV vs Mac mini

Reaction score
What would be the better way to get my iTunes content over to the big screen, Mac Mini or Apple TV?

Here’s a handy table comparing the two products (information on the Apple TV was found at Ars Technica citing AppleInsider).
Apple TV :
Price: $299
Audio Output : HDMI, optical audio, analog RCA stereo audio
Hard Drive: 40GB
CD/DVD: None
Processor: 1.0GHz Pentium underclocked on a 350MHz bus
RAM: 256MB of 400MHz DDR2
Software (selected): Apple TV interface (modified Front Row)
Video RAM : nVidia G72M with 64MB DDR2 Video Memory
Wireless Features: 802.11b, g, n
Weight: 2.4lbs
Video Output: HDMI, component video

Mac mini:
Price: $599
Audio Output: Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
Hard Drive: 60GB
CD/DVD: Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Processor: 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
RAM:512MB (Video RAM shares this RAM)
Software (selected): Mac OS X, iLife, Front Row
Video RAM: Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
Wireless Features: 802.11b, g and Bluetooth 2.0
Weight: 2.9lbs
Video Output: DVI, VGA with included adapter, S-Video and composite video with optional adapter

I am sure there are more considerations to ponder in making your decision, but if you get lost or confused just ask yourself, “What do I want to do with this thing?” Once you know the use of the product, you may have a clearer idea of what to chose.

Well, what should you get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your best bet is to wait until the AppleTV comes out and people have had a chance to mess with it and tell us what it does good and bad. Making a decision based on an unknown quanity is a foolish decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
well, the mac mini is also a computer / mac at the same time where as the apple tv isnt
however the price difference between them is quite noticeable... double if i may add
also take note that mac mini doesnt support wireless 'n' whereas apple tv does

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
mac mini bcoz of the optical drive.

I can do away with my dvd player.

Reaction score
mac mini (optical audio and DVI video), plus its a computer with DVD drive!

Hook it up to a receiver, and you can upconvert it to HDMI

Reaction score
Mac Mini vs Apple TV

It seems like a "Yes and" answer to me. Connect the Apple TV to your network and television, connect the Mac Mini to the network and thus the Apple TV. Fill up a massive Hard Drive with whatever media you want & connect to the Mini. Use the optical drive massive Hard Drive connected to the Mini through to the TV using Apple TV. Any friends can come over and share directly to Apple TV or dump to the massive Hard Drive on the Mac Mini. Wireless keyboard & mouse makes this a lazy geek's dream come true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
well, the mac mini is also a computer / mac at the same time where as the apple tv isnt
however the price difference between them is quite noticeable... double if i may add
also take note that mac mini doesnt support wireless 'n' whereas apple tv does

I am not sure if the core duo Mac Mini supports wireless n but, wireless n is only really beneficial for file transfer - also, it is only going to work if all devices connected to the router are n capable.

As soon as a lower speed device (such as g) is connected to the same router, the overall speed gets reduced because its running in a multi speed environment.

So, if you already have any computers that are below n, the n factor should not be an issue at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
unless of course you just create a network between two macs, then the router doesnt matter

this is my plan with a new mini, hopefeully they get N. ill just leave it on its own network, and when i turn my MBP on in the other room connect to it if i wanna transfer files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt
sorry to dig up an old thread, but Im torn between the too also.

Im using a 61' 1080p tv and would like to know if a mac mini or a apple tv will be the best route.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You can't rent HD movies through iTunes on a Mac. It only works on a Apple TV from what I was told.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
I'm pretty sure you can rent a movie on your mac. I just opened itunes and tried to rent Mr. Brooks and everything went fine, but I didn't finish as I've seen the movie already.

1. I'm not certain Mac Mini's will support a television that large, whereas the TV will.

2. It all depends what you are wanting to do with your media device. If you are just wanting to get your itunes content to you tele then no better and simpler way that the TV. But if you are wanting to edit documents, surf the web, check email, etc. then it might be wise to get a mac mini. Oh yeah, the price of the TV's just went down too.

Good Luck with your decision.

--
MacGuy18

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The mini will support a 1080p TV just fine. You will be able to rent movies and such on the mini, just not HD content. Front Row with Leopard supports a lot of formats if you have the codec. AppleTV doesn't from my knowledge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt
I know before the update, the specs on the Apple TV read it supported 720p, now with the new update, does it actually push out 1080p? If so then Im sold!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
Actually, my Apple TV was loaded with software v1.1 out of the box and had 1080i available. Upgrading it to v2.0 added 1080p support. I'm running it through HDMI to my 1080p TV with no issues and it looks great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP15/iMac20/ATV/Airport/iPodtouch/etc.
I will go for MacMini. I still regret buying that ATV, for me it is useless, unless I like another Mac (hot, very hot)sitting under my LCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
My ATV works great at 1080p on my Vizio. Simple, efficient and dedicated to it's job. I'd never get rid of it. Got mine on the Bay for $175 before they were "cool" again. Streaming media from my Mac upstairs via wireless n works great and I have never felt the need to upgrade the HDD. To each their own.

Reaction score
Well, if all you're trying to do is transferring your media to your television, you need neither. If you have a Windows PC laying around, get a TV card for it -- cheaper than both the Mac Mini and Apple TV.

But, as someone already said, the Mac Mini is a computer. If you already have a Mac, and don't need another one, and despise Windows as much as I do and won't allow one in your home, then I'd go with the Apple TV. Although, I am unimpressed with the movie selection iTunes is currently offering.

Reaction score
I am actually about t buy a mac mini to hook it up with my tv. I wanted to ask whether the software that the aTV uses is available for download anywhere, or one that is similar to it. The thing with front row is that you cannot go and preview movies from the iTunes store and then buy them. Front row only accesses what you already have downloaded. In order to buy movies from the mac mini you have to go through itunes using a mouse/keyboard and Having a keyboard and a mouse lying around the sofa/bed is not the most convinient thing. I was wondering whether i could just preview/buy movies with a remote through front row (or front row like program) with the mac mini. Anyone can help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.