Clean Install of Snow Leopard on Mackbook Pro Freezes at Apple Logo

Reaction score
I had Ubuntu installed on my '11 Macbook Pro 17" and I would like to go back to Mac OS X. I have the Snow Leopard install disk, but when I try to boot to the disk it just freezes at the Apple logo screen and doesn't progress. How can I fix this? Can I use a Linux live cd and reformat the disk? If so, with what specifications?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you wiped the drive and formatted for Ubuntu only then the problem is its ext3 or ext4 which OSX cannot read or write to . I would say you are going to have to put it in an inclosure and hook it up to a working Mac and format to OS Extended (Journaled) or purchase a Mac formatted drive install and load OS.

OP
C
Reaction score
Could I hook the problematic Macbook Pro up to a working Mac via firewire and use the disk utility to format the disk at OS extended (journaled)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never tried that ,i suppose the Target Mode should treat it just like any other firewire attached drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
But will I be able to trigger Target Mode when my MBP won't even boot past the Apple logo?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I had Ubuntu installed on my '11 Macbook Pro 17" and I would like to go back to Mac OS X. I have the Snow Leopard install disk, but when I try to boot to the disk it just freezes at the Apple logo screen and doesn't progress. How can I fix this? Can I use a Linux live cd and reformat the disk? If so, with what specifications?

Reset the NVRAM first and try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are right I am used to using that connection to transfer files on an already formatted drive sorry. I doubt just hooking up the firewire will show you the drive I never tried it or needed to try it.

OP
C
Reaction score
I was able to install Windows XP on the drive and then I put in the Snow Leopard install disks and installed Boot Camp. When looking in the Boot Camp control panel, it allows me to restart the computer in Target Disk Mode. Is this what I want to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to install Windows XP on the drive and then I put in the Snow Leopard install disks and installed Boot Camp. When looking in the Boot Camp control panel, it allows me to restart the computer in Target Disk Mode. Is this what I want to do?

Can you provide a little more info like how exactly did you load Ubuntu ?

OP
C
Reaction score
I've reformatted the drive and installed Windows XP (fat32) at this point, but when I originally installed ubuntu I simply popped in a cd and followed the installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.