2009 MBP Unibody won't turn on

Reaction score
Hello,

Today my left fan started making a extremely loud grinding noise. This came as no surprise since this has been the 4th time this happened, and it has been replaced 3 times so far; once by apple, twice by myself since apple takes a month to do something I can do in 30 minutes.

Anyway I was kind of frustrated while repairing it and forgot to remove the battery while working on it, and may have taken less care to ground myself. I was wondering what could potentially be damaged by these errors?

The macbook will not start at all since the "repair". Any ideas on what could be wrong with it? I will not be bringing it to apple for repairs since it is off warrantee.

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,

Anyway I was kind of frustrated while repairing it and forgot to remove the battery while working on it, and may have taken less care to ground myself. I was wondering what could potentially be damaged by these errors?

It's really really difficult to guess what exactly could have been damaged (if something happened because of improper grounding prior to disassembling)...but more than likely it would be something related to the logic board.

There's really nothing on the logic board that is DIY replaceable or repairable...and if this computer was taken to Apple (and it was logic board related)...they would simply say "new logic board...$500+" (which could exceed or be close to...the total value of the computer). Some Apple laptops have a separate "I/O board" or "mag-safe" board (not sure if your MBP has this)...so that would/could be a less costly part to replace.

From a DIY standpoint (on a totally non-working computer)...it's almost impossible to determine if the problem is with the logic board, the "Mag-Safe" board, or something else....without having good-working parts to do the replacement/troubleshooting with.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I got it to turn on though. Was using the power cord for a smaller macbook = not enough voltage. Oops.

Is the left fan dying a known problem on the 2008/2009 15" unibody mbps? I haven't touched the right one since I bought it and it's been fine. So annoying hearing that "rumbling" sound slowly creeping up to a full out grinding after installing a new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. I got it to turn on though. Was using the power cord for a smaller macbook = not enough voltage. Oops.

Is the left fan dying a known problem on the 2008/2009 15" unibody mbps? I haven't touched the right one since I bought it and it's been fine. So annoying hearing that "rumbling" sound slowly creeping up to a full out grinding after installing a new one.

The thread title says "Won't turn on"...so I replied with that in mind.

If you somehow got it to turn on (using a power adapter from a smaller MacBook)...why did you even need to do this...what's wrong with using the proper power adapter for this MBP in the first place??

It sounds like there's something going on here that is not being mentioned...and without all the information...it's really tough to help.

- Nick

p.s. As far as the fan problem...I have not heard of any widespread failing fan issue. Everyone uses their computers differently...and if you happen to use your MBP in such a way that the fans are at top speed (something like 5000-5500rpm) most of the time...the fans will fail faster than someone else who uses their laptop differently...and the fan speed is around 2000rpm.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry I meant that the smaller power adapter was causing the problem. Nothing wrong with the proper power adapter aside from it being further away from me than the smaller one ;p.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I meant that the smaller power adapter was causing the problem. Nothing wrong with the proper power adapter aside from it being further away from me than the smaller one ;p.

I'm getting more & more confused. The thread title says "2009 MBP won't turn on".

- In post #1 you mentioned..."The Macbook will not start at all since the "repair"."
- In post #3 you mentioned..."I got it to turn on though. Was using the power cord for a smaller macbook..."
- In post #5 you mentioned..."Sorry I meant that the smaller power adapter was causing the problem. Nothing wrong with the proper power adapter aside from it being further away from me than the smaller one"

So to be honest...at this point I'm not really sure what's going on???:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.