Vuirtualbox Vmware Parallels

Reaction score
Hi,
I have used Vmware to run XP for about 5 years now, on a 2008 iMac.
Recently sold iMac and bought a mini. Decided to try XP in Virtualbox.
There must be a reason why people use Vmware and Parallels over Virtualbox, but having run it now for about a week, I can't see why?
It appears to run fast and flawlessly.
What am I missing?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For most things VirtualBox does a great a job, however for specific things Parallels and VMWare Fusion do a much better job than VB. Applications like 3D rendering or some games, also both Parallels and VMWare have better USB support.

I personally use VMWare fusion..

But if VB works for you, that's great..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This is why I tried VB first. It's free, so if it proved to be insufficient for my needs I could always move on to a free trial of one of the other VMs. But, like the OP, I also am perfectly happy with it running Windows 7 on my late 2012 iMac. My Windows/VM needs are quite simple, so this was a good solution for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I always recommend users try out VirtualBox first. Granted it's a "no frills" VM app but for most folks it will do just fine. I ran XP in VirtualBox for quite some time and was happy with its performance. The best thing about is its price, free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
I've been using VirtualBox on Leopard/Snow Leopard for over 3 years to run Win XP Pro SP3. I'm not a power user, and it worked fine for everything I've tried to do with it. Initially I had Parallels Desktop 3, which I liked fine. When I "upgraded" to Parallels 4 it worked but it was slower than 3, too slow for me to use it much. Many of my fellow Parallels users reported the same lack of performance. When Parallels 5 was released people were saying it solved the speed issue, but I would have had to pay for the upgrade. I wasn't about to do that just to fix an issue that was inherent in a program that I had already paid for. Then I heard about VirtualBox available at no cost. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried it. I got my speed back, and I've been using it happily ever since.

OP
N
Reaction score
This is why I tried VB first. It's free, so if it proved to be insufficient for my needs I could always move on to a free trial of one of the other VMs. But, like the OP, I also am perfectly happy with it running Windows 7 on my late 2012 iMac. My Windows/VM needs are quite simple, so this was a good solution for me.

When running XP in Virtualbox the window scaling works fine once Guest Additions are installed, but I can't get the scaling right with Windows 7.
Does yours scale OK, and if so, what's the trick?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
When running XP in Virtualbox the window scaling works fine once Guest Additions are installed, but I can't get the scaling right with Windows 7.
Does yours scale OK, and if so, what's the trick?

Thanks

Yes, scaling works once I added the guest additions. I don't know what I did differently from you, but guest additions was the first thing I did after install and it looks fine now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.