OK, so tell me some AWESOME things I don't know about my MBP and OSX...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
New MPB, new to OSX, running Lion, every DAY I learn a new, awesome thing I did not know before about one or both of these things, what awesomeness can y'all bestow upon me? Tips? Tricks? Hidden Easter Egg type stuff? GIMME SOMETHING! Fill this newbie up with the KNOWLEDGE! Thanks!

:Cool:

Reaction score
I'm sure the people out here have lot of them, if you are looking for something specific we will be more than happy to assist you but a broad question does not help...

but I will give you one, try this...
command+shift+4 - you will see the crosshairs click and drag and the area selected is the screenshot which will be placed on your desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
You can create a PDF from any app that will print. The PDF menu is in the bottom left of your print dialog, and as an added bonus, if you're working with text (Word, Pages, Text Edit, even text in web pages) the PDF will be searchable, so you can do keyword searches later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Press Control+Option+Command+8. :Cool:

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
When you go to sleep at night the camera turns on and Steve Jobs monitors your room.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can create a PDF from any app that will print. The PDF menu is in the bottom left of your print dialog, and as an added bonus, if you're working with text (Word, Pages, Text Edit, even text in web pages) the PDF will be searchable, so you can do keyword searches later.

THAT is the coolest thing I've found yet! I "play at" guitar, and get songs to play/learn from chord sites. I have always had to use Primo PDF to convert, then file in my music folder, and it was a PITA. The "in-bred" .pdf feature ROCKS. THANKS! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Command+double clicking any plaintext link will open it in your default browser if your on Lion.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can make your Mac listen to you and do what you say through Speakable items. ATPM 15.11 - How To: Making Your Own Speakable Items

Check some of the recent issues of that magazine. There's a lot of information about things that can be done using software that's pre-installed on your Mac.

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can make your Mac listen to you and do what you say through Speakable items. ATPM 15.11 - How To: Making Your Own Speakable Items

Check some of the recent issues of that magazine. There's a lot of information about things that can be done using software that's pre-installed on your Mac.

Well sweet Miley CYRUS! Ain't THAT something grand! Gonna configure THAT tomorrow on may day off! WOW!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That feature can be a bit temperamental at times but it is interesting. I don't know if they are still there but at one time you could ask the computer to tell you a knock knock joke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
To switch between windows in an application click command and tilde ~

Command tab switches between applications (you probably know this).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
To switch between windows in an application click command and tilde ~

Command tab switches between applications (you probably know this).

There's a couple other things you can do when switching between apps with Command + Tab:

• After bringing up the app switching bar, Command + ~ allows you to move the selection box from right-to-left instead of left-to-right.
  • While the app switching bar is open, you can select an app and hit Command + Q to quit it. You don't even have to make the app active to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
To keep Lion from opening the last page you were on when opening Safari hold down the shift key while clicking on Safari it will return to the home page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I'm sure you can do this with Lion, but in SL you can save a DVD cover or picture for movies...

[img=http://s3.postimage.org/1ow4ft5vo/Screen_shot.jpg]

Selct your movie file,
Press Command+I to "Get Info" pop up,
Find a good sized picture for the movie,
Copy and paste (or drag) to the top left icon in "Info" box to change,
Close "Info" box,
Voila! Now you have a cover art for your movie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.