GPU enhancement on new Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Just got my 13" Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard 2 days ago. First thing I did was install a trial of Photoshop CS4 and it worked like a charm. 18 hours later it froze up while editing a 20MB file. Upon restart I was told that there was a problem with the display driver and GPU enhancement had been disabled... now my graphics are crap. Photoshop told me to check with NVIDIA for display drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA told me to check with Apple, Apple has nothing.

Is there anything I can do at this point besides wait for 2 days until an "expert" calls me?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there anything I can do at this point besides wait for 2 days until an "expert" calls me?
Three ideas:

1. Can you stop in at your local Apple Store & have them check it?

2. You could boot from the OS disks that came with your computer...and run the hardware test. To do this, boot from the DVD that came with your laptop...and I believe you have to hold down the "D" key to run the hardware test upon booting.

3. Since your laptop is basically brand new...and you really haven't had time to load the computer up with a lot of personal files...why not just try booting from the OS disks that came with the computer, and reinstall the OS?

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thx for the quick reply... I will try booting from the disc. I don't really have a local store; I live at a remote light station!

OP
R
Reaction score
I ran the hardware test and nothing showed up. I just finished a fresh install of 10.6 and everything is working fine again. I will post an update if it goes on the fritz again.

Also, for anyone who found this thread because they have a similar CS4/GPU problem with NVIDIA, there is an interesting thread here:
forums.adobe.com/thread/374563

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I ran the hardware test and nothing showed up. I just finished a fresh install of 10.6 and everything is working fine again. I will post an update if it goes on the fritz again.

Also, for anyone who found this thread because they have a similar CS4/GPU problem with NVIDIA, there is an interesting thread here:
forums.adobe.com/thread/374563

Thanks!

Congratulations on getting things figured out.

- Nick

Reaction score
Something strange...

Hey guys, all was well with my new macbook pro (13", 10.6, 9400M, 4gb) till today when i opened up a tiff in Photoshop CS4 and got this:

dw5jsw.jpg

What do you make of that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That seems like a problem opening up a file for the computer to read, not a problem with the graphics chip...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
Ok, I give up, how does one run a hardware test?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.