App Dev

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
I'm interested in creating applications for Mac OSX, like a text editor or a web browser. Whats the best method to start learning how to do this? What tools do I need? What languages should I learn?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, search this forum for the word 'started' and you'll find that this question has been answered, many times.

On your DVD (or CDs) that came with your Mac the development tools of choice are available. That would be Xcode. The language of choice is Objective-C.

Most people suggest the best book is Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass.

So you buy that book, install Xcode and start learning. I'm not sure the Mac community needs another text editor or browser though.

You'll also want to get a free ADC membership on the Apple Developer site. They have tutorials and many mailing lists. www.cocoadevcentral.com has some great tutorials and some 'getting started' type ones too.

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an application in the Developer file called 'Xcode', so I'm guessing its already installed...

Also, I made a simple text editor but when I build it, it says
"SDK package /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk does not exist"

I dont know how to fix this error! Any ideas?

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a side question: Is it possible to create Mac OSX applications with C++?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Just a side question: Is it possible to create Mac OSX applications with C++?
I know that you can write C++ code, but I don't know (or care) how well it is integrated with the Cocoa frameworks, but people do what you are speculating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I made a simple text editor but when I build it, it says
"SDK package /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk does not exist"

I dont know how to fix this error! Any ideas?
Not knowing how, when, or what versions are involved, I personally can't answer this question.

Do a "ls /Developer/SDKs/" in the terminal to see what is in that directory. I have these two directories;

MacOSX10.3.9.sdk
MacOSX10.4u.sdk

I'm running OS X 10.4.10 and Xcode 2.4.1 which I downloaded from my ADC account. It was a very large download.

Maybe you can try to just reinstall the developer tools.

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks xstep!
I did what you said in the terminal but it said "no such files found", or something like that. So, I guess I dont have either one installed.

Do you know where I can get these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If they are not there and you have the dev tools installed, then I don't know the answer. Try removing the dev tools and reinstalling them. I don't know what else to say.

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sucessfully uninstalled Xcode Tools, but I'm not sure how to reinstall them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my first DVD of the install disks there is a folder called "Xcode Tools". Open that folder and double click on "Xcode Tools.mpkg". You should probably read the PDF in that folder too.

Based on your Mac specs listed under your username, I'm assuming you have OS X 10.4 DVD install disks.

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot xstep!
I just created my first app: A currency converter!

It took me about half an hour to stumble through the tutorial but I did it, and it couldnt be done without your help. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot xstep!
I just created my first app: A currency converter!
You're welcome.

And now you are on your way to creating that next great editor. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.