• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

terminology pet-peeves in your everyday life

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
we all have one or more people around us in our home or work lives that just can't get terminology right; things like saying "oh es eks" rather than oh es ten".

there's a woman at my work who says "port hole" every time she refers to our company's website "portal". makes me chuckle inside every single time.

another guy always says "san disk" when referring to the tapes in our open systems "SAN" storage. ex: "hey, eric, i just boxed up those san disk tapes for our daily rotation". silly.

anyone else have any of these to share?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
*When people refer to the iPod touch as an itouch

*When you ask people what kind of computer they use, they say "A windows". Then you say, "I mean what company makes you computer" and they say "I just said windows, are you deaf?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There's been one going on for about 8 years now that I am happy to say will soon come to an end; it's George Bush saying "nuculer" all the time instead of nuclear.

It burns me up every time!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
"How do install MAC on my PC"?

That bugs me to no end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's been one going on for about 8 years now that I am happy to say will soon come to an end; it's George Bush saying "nuculer" all the time instead of nuclear.

It burns me up every time!!

But what if Obama says "Nuclar" ?

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
When new members use a ridiculous amount of slang in their first post. I lose interest in answering their question.

Add this to a sticky--Your first post should not contain the word 'yo' unless you are posting in español and should never contain the word 'dawg'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When new members use a ridiculous amount of slang in their first post. I lose interest in answering their question.

Same here. It makes me think they are just 20 year old college students who haven't a clue about what they are saying.

Like:

"heyy imma newb here and i have problem with my MACBOOK. whenever i try to open ichat and talk it wont let me. what is the matter with it.

thx "

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
But what if Obama says "Nuclar" ?

Or "Febuary"? We must never misunderestimate the ability of our politicians to "misspeak" the language they utter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Or "Febuary"? We must never misunderestimate the ability of our politicians to "misspeak" the language they utter.

Dissimilation may occur when a word contains two identical or closely related sounds, resulting in the change or loss of one of them. This happens regularly in February, which is more often pronounced \\ˈfe-b(y)ə-ˌwer-ē\\ than \\ˈfe-brə-ˌwer-ē\\, though all of these variants are in frequent use and widely accepted.
-- From the people who study these things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
*When people refer to the iPod touch as an itouch

I couldn't agree more with this one! When I see/hear someone say "iTouch", it affects me like hearing someone scratch their nails down a chalkboard!

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that's not what it does for me, but i had a thing for the lead singer of the divinyls in the 80s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
when people call the apple store an ipod store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro|MacBooks|iPhones|iPods|iPad
i work with a couple of pretty country ladies and their vernacular kills me everyday! things like "ain't never gonna work" and "warsh my truck" are used repeatedly as well as other grammatical nightmares that would force you to flunk middles school english!

it really forces me to laugh out loud at them and then go shut to door to my office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
'irregardless' - I have a coworker who uses it.

Other than that, almost any time someone non-technical decides to enter my world the jargon is butchered ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
only because it's 'in common usage'. It's still incorrect. Read the word, break the syllables down and figure out that it's a double-negative. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Perhaps it's a "dissimilation" ;D

But here's another one. I have a wannabe acquaintance who seeks to impress with her vast knowledge (??) of the Eng language by saying, in committee discussion, "I'm in agreeance with that". If challenged she's likely to say "that's the correct pronounciation".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
only because it's 'in common usage'.

Languages only exist because they're in common usage. Technically, we speak a very, very corrupted, slang-filled version of ancient German.

"Irregardless" makes no sense as a word, but it is one nonetheless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.