Include iLife in clean OS installation?

Reaction score
I have to wipe and install OS10.5.2 on quite a few machines, and am not terribly Mac-literate, but I’ve been managing so far by simply sticking the disks in and letting them get on with it… all the machines I’ve done so far have had the 2-disk set with them, and ask for the 2nd disk near the end.

However… I’ve just done a MacBook (black one) which has a single retail disk with the O/S, and also an iLife one. I can get to the “Welcome” screen as per normal, but of course I haven’t installed iLife, and I know people expect this to be included. Is there any easy way to include it in the installation as with the 2-disk O/S procedure?

Thanks a lot…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes. Just include both of the discs when you sell the computer.
Then they buyer can install iLife if they choose.

If you aren't including the discs, then you shouldn't install the software on the computer.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes. Just include both of the discs when you sell the computer.
Then they buyer can install iLife if they choose.

If you aren't including the discs, then you shouldn't install the software on the computer.

I'm not selling anything - I'm trying to help somebody out. And trying to learn a little myself, at the same time. Seems rather more difficult to get help in the Mac than the Windows community...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm not selling anything - I'm trying to help somebody out. And trying to learn a little myself, at the same time. Seems rather more difficult to get help in the Mac than the Windows community...
It sounded like you were preparing them for sale. My mistake.

I’ve just done a MacBook (black one) which has a single retail disk with the O/S, and also an iLife one. I can get to the “Welcome” screen as per normal, but of course I haven’t installed iLife, and I know people expect this to be included. Is there any easy way to include it in the installation as with the 2-disk O/S procedure?
The only way to do this in the scenario you describe, would be to create a user account on the computer, then install iLife.
If you don't want to do this, then just return the person's iLife discs and explain that they will need to set up their user account first, then install iLife themselves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.