Do you guys use Hotmail or GMail?

Reaction score
Hey

I just got an iMac to replace my Windows desktop. In conjunction with my existing Macbook, I am now a fully-fledged appleboy!

I have setup Mail.app, which seems decent, but does not allow me to use custom folders from Hotmail. I have ascertained nothing can be done about this.

I have setup an email account with GMail as an experiment. The only Microsoft thing I will use now is my XBox, which - I believe - can be moved onto another email account.

GMail seems cleaner, better equipped and works with Mail. Both aesthetically and in terms of features, it seems a better match for Apple software - this email account is many years old!

I'm not sure what IMAP does, but it seems better than Hotmail's POP!

What do you think? Should I make the jump and ditch Hotmail for GMail?

Reaction score
I use both. Unfortunately the mail program on my new MacBook pro won't support multiple gmail accounts so I use outlook.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I have both. i wish I could migrate them all to my gmail as it has a better name, but they both work exactly the same to me, and i forward them both to Mail.

i use my hotmail for spam now. anything I care about goes through Gmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I use both. Unfortunately the mail program on my new MacBook pro won't support multiple gmail accounts so I use outlook.

Huh? I have 4 Gmail IMAP accounts active in Apple Mail without a problem.

Reaction score
Huh? I have 4 Gmail IMAP accounts active in Apple Mail without a problem.

Is thee a tutorial somewhere on how to ads additional ones? I haven't been able to get it to add accounts beyond my first one.
(sorry about the hijack OP)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

What? I have multiple Gmail accounts on in Mail just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I primarily use hotmail (I've used it for a long time and I don't like changing and then having to get everyone I know to stop using an old address) and the fact that I can only access it with either POP3 or the web page from my Mac is the only real annoyance I have with it at the moment (and I fully understand it's Microsoft's fault, not Apple's).

There is a program called mBox Mail for Mac that I am trying out that gives you imap access to your hotmail account and all your folders. (If you are a Windows user and use outlook, think of it as a 3rd party version of Windows Live Outlook Connector) I finally got it working today (It was having issues with my firewall I think) and it's nice. Only thing is that it's not free but I think that I'll give in and purchase it since it's looking like the only way I'll be able to access hotmail from a mail program.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
It's kinda funny, I saw a chart. There is a direct relationship between Gmail users and College education, higher you go, the more likely you are to use Gmail. Also the older you are the more likely you are to use hotmail or aol. (shudder)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
It's kinda funny, I saw a chart. There is a direct relationship between Gmail users and College education, higher you go, the more likely you are to use Gmail. Also the older you are the more likely you are to use hotmail or aol. (shudder)

I think it's because Gmail is newer so people getting into computers for the first time are going with the option that is new and has good word of mouth.

The 'older' people on hotmail and AOL are not there because it's old fart friendly but more likely because they have established history with the address and have distributed it to many people / colleagues / online shopping / etc...

Switching to a new e-mail address is like moving to a new house. you need to change all your bills, make sure your family and friends change to the new address and unless there is a truly beneficial reason for switching I don't see the need.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I just like Gmail because it's IMAP and I hate hotmail because it's POP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Is thee a tutorial somewhere on how to ads additional ones? I haven't been able to get it to add accounts beyond my first one.
(sorry about the hijack OP)

Easy enough, in Mail go to the File menu and click on "Add Account…"
Follow the prompts and your done.

C

chas_m

There's actually little reason to use either one, particularly if you value your privacy, but I'd have to say GMail wins out vs. Hotmail due to GMail having IMAP.

For the fellow above who didn't know what IMAP was, Wikipedia can explain it better but in a nutshell: server-based, synced instantly across all your devices e-mail. Better than POP unless you tend to only use one machine.

Word to the wise: you may want to sign up for the two-month trial of MobileMe. Rumour has it big (good) changes are coming, but it's already fairly awesome right now (and could get a LOT MORE AWESOME if rumours hold true).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There's actually little reason to use either one, particularly if you value your privacy,

FWIW this is a ridiculous argument against any of them. Email, as a whole, is a completely insecure medium. The SMTP protocol is weak and full of privacy and security holes regardless of who or what you use for email.

If you're really that concerned about privacy, you wouldn't use email at all anyway. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Gmail hands down for me, coupled with google calendars sync capabilities winning combo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Gmail for private and Fastmail for work and ad-hok stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 inch iMac 3.06 i3 8GB RAM 500gb HDD
I use Gmail, as it has a more serious name than my Hotmail I created when I was 11 hehe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.