mac to pc word format problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.8 Quad Core, 4G RAM, 500G hard drive
Hi - I am a couple of days into using my new Mac, and am getting stuck on a problem with word processing.
Whichever program I use ( I am running fully functional trials of Word 2004 for Mac and Pages), every time I export as a .doc file or .rtf I have big formatting issues when I open the file on a PC.

I do a lot of work with documents that include images, text boxes, different text sizes etc, and nothing I do seems to hold the formatting. I have to send to people on PCs all the time, and was convinced to get a mac since everyone told me there were no compatibility issues with word between mac and pc, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious. Please help!

Otherwise, I'm very pleased with Leopard and the capabilities for Photoshop and FCP.

Thanks

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I use office 08 and I have no issues at all. Sorry I can't help but I think it is the softwares age.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use both Office 2008 for the Mac and Office 2007 for Windows and do not have problems with transferring documents between platforms. You mentioned Word 2004 which I haven't used but it is my understanding that it's compatible with Word 97 - 2003. Word 2004 is NOT compatible with the newer DOCX file format which is used by default in Word 2007. However, Office 2007 documents can be saved in "compatibility mode" which means the older formats.

As for issues with formatting, specifically if graphics are included or text boxes, there may be times that the document will be altered when saving from one platform to the other. That's something you'll have to learn to live with. But for the most part, documents should transfer OK.

Transferring documents between iWork Pages and any version of Word is a different ball game. Pages does not export to the *.DOC format very well nor does it import Office documents without changing the formatting in most cases. So I would advise - do not mix Pages and Office if your documents are complex. Simple documents should be OK.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi B&O and chscag. Thanks so much for your replies.
It sounds like I should avoid Pages altogether since I've got complicated docs to share about.
I've been trying to create docs in word 2004 on the mac and open in word 2003 on the pc, so haven't been having the 2008 compatability issues. As you say, maybe its partly coz these programs are a little old now.

How have you found office 2008? I've been reading that people have had bad trouble with it running slow etc and so was avoiding it?

Thanks. Meantime, am just loving how everything else just WORKS! If I can solve this problem somehow I will be one happy Mac switcher!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
You could always get Crossover and install the Windows version of Office on your Mac. Codeweavers claim to have full Office support. (Haven't tried it myself).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have used Office 2004 & 2008 without any Mac vs PC Office issues. I do use a lot of forms in Word documents. I tried Pages, but had problems with the formatting of the forms.

What format are you saving the Mac Office files in? You should be using 'Save as' and under Format selecting "Word 97-2004 Document .doc". The default .docx format that it saves them in is just about useless to most people.

Also, check Word > Preferences > Compatibility. There may be something in there that is checked/unchecked which is causing your grief.

Finally, under Word > Preferences > Save you can change the default file type to Word .doc so that you don't have to keep changing the type every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
just in case this is the problem, what fonts are you using in the documents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just make sure you have changed the default saving format from .docx to .doc. PCs are unable to handle the .docx format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can never be absolutely sure what will happen when you send a Word document to someone else. Word is designed for word processing, not for laying out documents consistently.

If you're sending out documents to people, you'll have about as much luck with Word 2004 on a Mac as with any other version of Word. Every version of Word from 97 to 2004 (and even 2007 and 2008, sort of) uses the same format, but they all interpret it differently. Plus, there are font issues, page setup issues, and differences in how embedded objects are handled on each individual computer.

If you want things to be consistent, use PDFs. Otherwise, go with the flow.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...If you want things to be consistent, use PDFs. Otherwise, go with the flow.

This is probably the best advice ever. It will save you from major headaches and potential problems because everyone can view a PDF.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool -have just looked up crossover and find that they are doing free downloads of it for today only - will give it a go and let you know how I get on
Thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Technologist and CrimsonRequiem - thanks for your advice. I will use pdfs mostly I think. Trouble is, I often need to send docs that people can add their notes to for changes - is there any way that people can add notes to a pdf? Silly question maybe?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hi Technologist and CrimsonRequiem - thanks for your advice. I will use pdfs mostly I think. Trouble is, I often need to send docs that people can add their notes to for changes - is there any way that people can add notes to a pdf? Silly question maybe?

They can if they open up the PDF in Illustrator, Photoshop, or Acrobat Pro to "add stuff."

Reaction score
Hey! I know this is old, but it can help other people... I think I got the answer to your problems.

In WORD --> File --> Page setup (in word 2017.. might be somewhere else if you dont run this).

You make sure your page setup is set to ANY PRINTER. Then you do THE SAME on the PC. Close the document, then open it again.

Normally, the layout should be exactly the same.

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 3.58.32 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey! I know this is old, but it can help other people... I think I got the answer to your problems.

Yes this is a very old thread!;) Remember...this thread is from 2008 ( 9 years ago). The same problem that may have been an issue in 2008...may no longer be an issue in 2017. That's a lot of time to "iron out" issues.:) I'm sure most or all of the folks in this thread have moved onto newer computers, newer versions of the Mac OS...and newer versions of apps (where this issue may no longer be an issue).:)

But hey...never know. All info is good info.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I had this problem with clients and had to search for hours and hours to figure this out.. Im very sure itll be helpful ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.