Crucial 256GB C300 on MBP

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to the Crucial C300 SSD that runs the new SATA III and their thoughts on the drive. Does my Spring 2010 MBP support running SATA III (SATA 6 GB/s)? Or will it be stuck running at SATA II speeds?

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to the Crucial C300 SSD that runs the new SATA III and their thoughts on the drive. Does my Spring 2010 MBP support running SATA III (SATA 6 GB/s)? Or will it be stuck running at SATA II speeds?

I've got one in my 2010 MBP right now, I've been quite impressed with it. Here's a link to my xbench results (i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM)

Xbench: Comparison

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just out of curiosity, how long have you had it? I'm interested to see how the performance is holding up over time considering that OS X lacks TRIM support.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how long have you had it? I'm interested to see how the performance is holding up over time considering that OS X lacks TRIM support.

That benchmark was done the day I installed it (5-28). I haven't run it again recently, but I can't honestly say that I've noticed any slowdowns since then.

Just for comparisons sake, here's the same machine as shipped with 4GB and the 500GB 5400RPM drive.

It would have to do an awful lot of slowing down to get back there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That benchmark was done the day I installed it (5-28). I haven't run it again recently, but I can't honestly say that I've noticed any slowdowns since then.

Just for comparisons sake, here's the same machine as shipped with 4GB and the 500GB 5400RPM drive.

It would have to do an awful lot of slowing down to get back there.

Thanks a lot. I've been thinking about picking one of these up myself.

Reaction score
Sorry to bust in here, I'm very new to my Macs, actually just got my 13" MBP 2.4GHz C2Duo last week and wondering if this SSD would be supported by my computer? I really like the idea of an SSD over a platter and heads configuation!!

Thank you very much!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to bust in here, I'm very new to my Macs, actually just got my 13" MBP 2.4GHz C2Duo last week and wondering if this SSD would be supported by my computer? I really like the idea of an SSD over a platter and heads configuation!!

Thank you very much!

Yes, SSD drives are supported. The only area of concern is that OS X doesn't currently support the "TRIM" command, which means that over time performance can degrade until a complete format is done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yes, SSD drives are supported. The only area of concern is that OS X doesn't currently support the "TRIM" command, which means that over time performance can degrade until a complete format is done.

Have you run across anything that states the Samsung drives have TRIM support at the hardware level thus eliminating the need for TRIM support at a software level?

Reaction score
Ah,

I'm assuming that "TRIM" is the SSD equivilent of a disk clean-up command?

Seems like that wouldn't be too difficult for Apple to add to a software update no?

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I've been thinking about picking one of these up myself.

I debated over it for some time before I decided to take the plunge. I'm pretty happy that I did now. I had to take a 13" MBP from work last week on a trip and I had forgotten how much difference there was. It almost seemed painfully slow launching applications.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you run across anything that states the Samsung drives have TRIM support at the hardware level thus eliminating the need for TRIM support at a software level?

I have not. My understanding of TRIM is that the drive's firmware and the OS must both support it. I haven't heard of a firmware that can do it all itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have not. My understanding of TRIM is that the drive's firmware and the OS must both support it. I haven't heard of a firmware that can do it all itself.

Well, that's what I thought too. I may have read something wrong, but that would be nice and makes things easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.