Problems with Safari 6

Reaction score
After downloading Safari 6, I noticed that there are a couple issues with it for me. After quitting the browser and reopening it, the previous windows always open, even if the computer has restarted. I would prefer the homepage to open, and I remember in Safari 5 there was a preference to change that, but I don't see one here.
Also, the thumbnails on all my bookmarks and saved pages keep disappearing for some reason. This might be after I clear the history, which I have set to daily, but not sure why that would be.

I've noticed a couple stranger issues such as once or twice the homepage being reset to apple.com and once the folder for downloaded files being switched back after changing it. These were probably flukes, but I really hope there is a solution to the above two problems. I kind of like the single search bar, but overall I wish I hadn't upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
I haven't experience those but I have problem quitting it. I just updated to Safari 6 two days ago.
Sometimes it's hard to quit the program and I need to force quit it or else I can't shutdown my mac.

Regarding the home page, it should be there still.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX are you running? Safari 6 here in that way works like it did before. Lion and Mountain Lion default brings back open apps exactly where they were when the system shuts down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
I'm running Lion 10.7.4. I think the issue is more on Safari 6. Have you experienced the same dtravis7?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I had it do the same thing with Safari 5 also in Lion as I have Lion open Safari to where I was when I rebooted. So no, Same exact behavior in ML with Safari 6.

OP
Beleg Cuthalion
Reaction score
I'm running Lion 10.7.4. I don't see any option to open with the homepage like there was in Safari 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running Lion 10.7.4. I don't see any option to open with the homepage like there was in Safari 5.

Seriously?
- Safari
- Preferences
- General
- Homepage

OP
Beleg Cuthalion
Reaction score
Seriously?
- Safari
- Preferences
- General
- Homepage

I'm not talking about when I open new windows, I have that set. I mean when I quit safari and then reopen it, it goes back to the last page I was on. I wish it would just always open the homepage.

In Safari 5, there was an option to reopen previous pages or not, but I don't see that here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not remember that option in Safari. It was here always an Lion and now Mountain Lion thing.

Found a solution for you. Taking Screenshot. Be right back.

System Preferences, General. Look at the Screen Shot. It works.

It might be different if you are in another OS. This is in Mountain Lion.

In 10.7.4. Here is a screen shot. Uncheck that and close safari. Works perfectally here.

First pic is in Mountain Lion, 2nd Pic is in Lion. I just knew it was an OS setting.

Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 1.18.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-07-28 at 1.31.08 PM.png

OP
Beleg Cuthalion
Reaction score
I do not remember that option in Safari. It was here always an Lion and now Mountain Lion thing.

Ah, thanks a lot. I forgot that it was in system preferences and not safari, should have looked.

Does anyone else have trouble with the thumbnails? I wonder if they'll release an update to fix that at some point.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the thumbnail issue. Can you explain a bit more? I have not noticed anything so far.

OP
Beleg Cuthalion
Reaction score
Basically the icons next to each link in my bookmarks that are normally that page's icon keep resetting to the blank blue globe. This happens when the history is cleared, which I have at daily (so every day they're reset until I visit them again.) This used to never happen except maybe when I cleared the cache and everything with Onyx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What I do not enjoy is the lack of the Google search window. And after advancing severl links the back button cannot get back to where one started from.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I do not enjoy is the lack of the Google search window. And after advancing severl links the back button cannot get back to where one started from.

Harry, I was having that last part just before upgrading to Safari 6 and ML.

I do miss the separate Search window, but knew this was coming. See what Google Chrome started! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I agree. You can't use the back to search results after clicking one of the links.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Basically the icons next to each link in my bookmarks that are normally that page's icon keep resetting to the blank blue globe. This happens when the history is cleared, which I have at daily (so every day they're reset until I visit them again.) This used to never happen except maybe when I cleared the cache and everything with Onyx.

Those are call Favcons and assigned to sites that use them. Make sure in your preferences that you're not choosing to reset all web data as that will remove them.

I have my history setup same as you but it does not remove the Favcons.

OP
Beleg Cuthalion
Reaction score
Those are call Favcons and assigned to sites that use them. Make sure in your preferences that you're not choosing to reset all web data as that will remove them.

I have my history setup same as you but it does not remove the Favcons.

Can you tell me where that preference would be? I don't see anywhere where I have it set to remove data. Thanks.

Reaction score
Safari Top Sites

Hi, new here. Just wanted to chime in with a Safari 6 probs.

One of the features that I have been relying upon seems to have been removed.

In Top Sites view, whenever there had been a change on one of the sites that I regularly visit, the top right-hand corner would be folded back and a white star was displayed to indicate that the page had changed since I last looked at it.

For anyone who is a member of a few (or even several) forum sites, this is (was) a great time saving feature.

You could tell at a glance if it was worth opening a page (because a new comment had been made etc).

Without this feature, you MUST open the page to check for new comments (or other changes).

I have searched Safari preferences for a way to restore this feature, alas, no joy.

Does anyone have a clue if it can be restored or can anyone advise another method of doing the same thing?

Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Bookmarks bar is ca 1990 usefulness (Sucks)

I have a lot of bookmarks in folders, so when viewing bookmarks I can select many and double click to open SOME of the many bookmarks that I have in a folder.

That's no longer possible.

And to delete one from the side bar it seems I have to ctl-click and use a drop down.

Major MAJOR loss of functionality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.