Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just came across this product at the Apple Store:
H3443_AV3
H3443_AV2
H3443

Twelve South MagicWand - Apple Store (U.S.)

One of my first questions/thoughts when the Magic Trackpad first came out was...why didn't Apple release an integrated wireless keyboard & Magic Trackpad combo???

This "MagicWand" device sort of bridges the gap (literally)!:)

- Nick

p.s. $29.95 may be a bit steep though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Interesting, but I like to have my trackpad further away to the right, where it falls naturally under my right hand. I think this would restrict the use of the trackpad somewhat actually.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, but I like to have my trackpad further away to the right, where it falls naturally under my right hand. I think this would restrict the use of the trackpad somewhat actually.

I like to use my keyboard/input device on my lap from time to time.

For example feet on the desk...sitting back in the chair (where two separate wired or bluetooth devices...keyboard & mouse...are a bit unwieldy). Or while I'm on the couch watching TV...with my laptop on a table nearby.

Up to this point Apple does not make a wireless integrated keyboard & mouse device for this sort of "ergonomic positioning".;)

I'm honestly not sure this "MagicWand" device would even satisfy my needs...since the MagicWand seems to only attach at the "rounded" upper portion of the keyboard & Magic TrackPad. So if I was to use everything on my lap (versus on a solid-flat desktop)...I could see the two devices independently flexing or pivoting (nothings perfect I guess...in this case).;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Looking at this video, MagicWand - MagicWand - Twelve South , it looks like there is a strip that goes between the keyboard and the Trackpad to keep the two from flexing independently. I do see a couple of issues with this though. I know some people like to turn the keyboard off when not in use. For right handed users, this would not be possible as the Trackpad will be covering the power button on the keyboard. It also shows in the video that the two are taped together as well as being in the Wand device. So, being taped together as well is going to make it very inconvenient to turn the keyboard on and off if you are one that does turn it off when not in use, not to mention turning it back on when you change the batteries. And one more thing...you are also going to have to take the setup apart to change the batteries in the Trackpad as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
@Nick. Thanks for the link. Cant seem to find it in the Aust store but seems to be getable through there website . . . . Looks nice and functional IMO for me anyways I see this for just this reason to sit on the lounge feet up. For me it will basically be controlling a media centre so no hardcore typing or use. Perfect

@Chef some nice pointers there.

I have been wanting a Mac Mini for a Media Center and wanted a keyboard/trackpad integration and i think this is it. As i will be controlling it from the lounge i needed the 2 together and the thought of needing to take it apart to change batteries is nothing for me.

It would never be turned off as that just isnt me and i have a rechargeable batterie array at home so will always have power.
In the design and simplicity of the contraption i think they are on a winner there. This will be just the thing to add to my June buy up. iP4/Mac Mini with Bluetooth Keyboard/Trackpad . . . .

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking at this video, MagicWand - MagicWand - Twelve South , it looks like there is a strip that goes between the keyboard and the Trackpad to keep the two from flexing independently. I do see a couple of issues with this though. I know some people like to turn the keyboard off when not in use. For right handed users, this would not be possible as the Trackpad will be covering the power button on the keyboard. It also shows in the video that the two are taped together as well as being in the Wand device. So, being taped together as well is going to make it very inconvenient to turn the keyboard on and off if you are one that does turn it off when not in use, not to mention turning it back on when you change the batteries. And one more thing...you are also going to have to take the setup apart to change the batteries in the Trackpad as well.

Nice post...and thanks a ton for the link for that video!:) It did show that it is designed to be used "off the desktop"...so that's pretty cool. But it does seem to have it's shortcomings as you mentioned. But I can live with most of them if the assembled unit is fairly stable (not too flexible).

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Nick. Thanks for the link. Cant seem to find it in the Aust store but seems to be getable through there website . . . . Looks nice and functional IMO for me anyways I see this for just this reason to sit on the lounge feet up. For me it will basically be controlling a media centre so no hardcore typing or use. Perfect

You're welcome!:) Yeah...I was just browsing the Apple Store...and came across it. Too bad it's not available at the Apple Store Australia. But like you mentioned...it can be purchased from:

Twelve South

Thanks for mentioning the "Twelve South" Website...they have some other neat Mac products as well!:)

I may have to actually consider getting it (after I find a good used Apple bluetooth keyboard)!;) Ha ha.

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought that I would update this thread regarding the "MagicWand" device. According to another Mac-Forums member who purchased it...the MagicWand is made from plastic...not a nice solid piece of aluminum (as I would have expected for the $29.95 price):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ot...-wand-12-south-cheap-plastic.html#post1198388

So before you spend $29.95...you might want to take this into consideration.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Currently I use a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse with my Mac Mini media center, but have been thinking about switching to the Apple wireless keyboard.
I hadn't thought about trying the trackpad. Is it worth it compared to using a wireless mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I hadn't thought about trying the trackpad. Is it worth it compared to using a wireless mouse?

YES!!!!!!!
I love the thing, it's brilliant. Go and try one in a store if you can. You'll buy it (if it's set up nicely)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think that it depends. When you use the trackpad on a laptop computer...your hand, wrist, and arm are in a different orientation then the way they are when you use a mouse on the flat surface of a desktop. I know folks who do not like the Magic Trackpad for this reason...hard on the wrist.

I think that the best way to decide...is go to the Apple Store and try one out. And/or...purchase one...get it home...and go for a test drive with your own setup. If you don't like it...you got 14 days.;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that it depends. When you use the trackpad on a laptop computer...your hand, wrist, and arm are in a different orientation then the way they are when you use a mouse on the flat surface of a desktop. I know folks who do not like the Magic Trackpad for this reason...hard on the wrist.

I think that the best way to decide...is go to the Apple Store and try one out. And/or...purchase one...get it home...and go for a test drive with your own setup. If you don't like it...you got 14 days.;)

- Nick

Nick,
Outstanding recommendation as always. :)
We don't have a local Apple Store but about due to visit the Mother-inlaw in St Louis. Looks like a side trip is in order.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
Outstanding recommendation as always. :)
We don't have a local Apple Store but about due to visit the Mother-inlaw in St Louis. Looks like a side trip is in order.

I also wanted to mention that I don't usually use my Magic Trackpad with my desktop computer...I prefer a "rollerball" type input device...or traditional mouse for that. I usually use my Magic Trackpad when I got my feet up on the desk...or when I'm watching TV with my feet on the coffee table (my laptop is on the coffee table as well)...and I'm surfing the internet using the Magic Trackpad.

The Magic Trackpad also comes in handy as a "long distance" input device with my Mac-Mini hooked up to my large screen TV...for navigating while streaming internet based entertainment like Hulu.

- Nick

p.s. Too bad about not having a local Apple Store!:(...I guess if you don't make it to St. Louis...you could always order one via the internet...and return it if you don't like it. Of course then you have to pay shipping. I haven't checked...does Best Buy sell them?...or maybe another computer/electronics store local to your area.

p.s.s. You could also consider getting a used one via e-Bay or Craig's List. New they cost $69 + tax...but they're selling for around $45-$50 on e-Bay.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hadn't thought about Best Buy . . . Will give them a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ewwww In that case then !!!!

Thanks for the heads up Nick. Back to the drawing board lol

Yeah...I'm pretty disappointed.:( I have the Magic Trackpad...and I was looking into buying a used bluetooth Apple keyboard off e-Bay. Then getting this "MagicWand" to connect the two into one device that I can use while sitting on the couch...or while using my desktop with my feet propped up on the desk.

But now that I'm learning that the MagicWand is made of "silver-colored" plastic...not sure I want to pay $29.95US for this!!! I wasn't too crazy about paying this price when I thought it was made of aluminum...but PLASTIC...ughh!! Maybe $10-$15 bucks for plastic.:)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just came across this review of the MagicWand by MacWorld:

Twelve South MagicWand Review | Macworld

...it appears that MacWorld just reviewed it back in February, 2011. They confirm that it is a piece of "aluminum-colored plastic"!:(

In the review they also reference other devices for "coupling" or combining the Apple bluetooth keyboard & Magic Trackpad...made of wood, plastic, or aluminum. Here's the aluminum one:

157439-bullettrainexpress_original.jpg

...not exactly the most "elegant"...but the only choice made of aluminum. And it isn't cheap...costing $129 dollars + $10 shipping...YIKES!!!;)

- Nick

p.s. Here's a 2nd review:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/18/twelvesouth-magicwand-hands-on-review-of-this-useful-accessory/

...of course it's a positive review (no critical mention of it being expensive for a piece of aluminum colored plastic). Just goes to show how some reviewers just "suck up" to vendors to get a free sample!!!;)

p.p.s The MacWorld review is more "fair & balanced"...in that it does mention at least 3 drawbacks of the MagicWand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^ As much as i agree with you whole heartedly, in the last 20 mins i have been thinking about it this way . . . .

IS there another device out there that will fill the gap i am looking for ???
No not as yet there isnt.

So im thinking in the next 'x' amount of weeks if i cant find anything i will go ahead and purchase it. The plastic part does seem to work perfectly in the Video and safarisurfer also stated that it works the way intended, so if i purchase it and as i said fills the gap i want it to fill then Yes ill be happy.
For me $30 is a packet of smokes and a cpl of coffee's and if i can spend $30 on something that will aid in my death i think i can justify something to make my life happier and easier when im relaxing :)

But that is me.

I dont take back my Ewwww but maybe the "Back to the drawing board bit" lol

Cheers

EDIT

Wooooo Hold the train
157439-bullettrainexpress_original.jpg

Meh not that flash is it :( ugly in a sort of way but that i couldnt justify the $'s

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me $30 is a packet of smokes and a cpl of coffee's and if i can spend $30 on something that will aid in my death i think i can justify something to make my life happier and easier when im relaxing :)

With the added benefit of a $30 reduction in consumption of smokes. ;)

Altogether, I think that is an outrageously reasonable way to look at the cost.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IS there another device out there that will fill the gap i am looking for ???
No not as yet there isnt.

I agree. I haven't 100% decided that I won't get it. I think that it's a great idea...it's simple & doesn't take up any additional space. I'm mainly venting about the $29.95 price...for a piece of plastic!;)

Compared to the amount technology & cost of materials in the Apple bluetooth keyboard & the Magic Trackpad...each of these devices (in comparison to the MagicWand) should probably cost $500 each!;) Yes I know that there's a "volume sold" issue here...and cost of design & development...I'm just saying.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.