Upgrading my hard drive on my new Macbook Pro 13", have a question.

Reaction score
I have watched a few YouTube videos on how to upgrade the RAM and hard drive on the new Macbook Pro's. I feel very confident I can do this.

That said, my Macbook is arriving tomorrow, and I already have my RAM and hard drive upgrades on hand. I really don't want to mess with Super Duper or whatever the cloning program is called.

Can't I just put in the new hard drive and then re-install Snow Leopard via the installation disk that the computer will come with? Am I missing anything here?

I figure since I am starting completely fresh anyway, a reinstall would be easier than trying to clone the existing drive. Thoughts???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can't I just put in the new hard drive and then re-install Snow Leopard via the installation disk that the computer will come with? Am I missing anything here?

That's exactly what I would do if I was doing the same thing you have planned. There usually isn't any special software on the hard drive of a new Macintosh computer that isn't on the restore disks you get with the computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)
You can do that. Just make sure you be careful and use the proper equipment.

Also Enjoy your new MBP and welcome to the forums.

OP
B
Reaction score
You can do that. Just make sure you be careful and use the proper equipment.

Also Enjoy your new MBP and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I ordered a refurbished 13" Macbook Pro from Apple for $999, and then spent another $190 or so on 4Gb of Crucial Memory and a 320Gb hard drive (Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200 RPM).

So for the same $1,199 they charge for the same computer new, I will now have it upgraded to 4Gb of RAM and 320Gb of hard drive space. I wanted to future proof this bad boy as best I could as I plan on having this for awhile.

I keep my computers about as long as my cars, at least 5 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)
Your Welcome!

Also i would recommend getting Applecare so your precious MBP is covered for 3 years. Its piece of mind and in case something goes wrong your covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
adding to that, you can purchase the Apple care anytime withing the 1year warranty period if you can't afford it yet, but just be sure to set yourself a reminder that you know that your warranty is about to end.
Also, "$190 or so on 4Gb of Crucial Memory and a 320Gb hard drive (Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200 RPM)" ....that's a good deal.... was it from OWC?

OP
B
Reaction score
adding to that, you can purchase the Apple care anytime withing the 1year warranty period if you can't afford it yet, but just be sure to set yourself a reminder that you know that your warranty is about to end.
Also, "$190 or so on 4Gb of Crucial Memory and a 320Gb hard drive (Western Digital Scorpio Black 7200 RPM)" ....that's a good deal.... was it from OWC?

I got the hard drive from New Egg for $76 I believe, and the RAM from Crucial for around $123, both with free shipping, so I guess I fudged a little bit as that adds up to right at $200.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.