Apple Clamshell - Is It Worth Getting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Hey guys,
My all time favourite colour is Lime Green which is offered on the Apple Clamshell 366/466 laptops. I have a new iPod Touch which does everything I need on a laptop. Sooooooooooo My question is this:

All I need is a laptop to download songs and sync my iPod. I REALLY want either a Tangerine or Lime Clamshell and put a 40GB HD in it with 576MB of RAM.

Is this going to be enough to run Frostwire/Limewire/iTunes with the newest quicktime & Java?

Any insight would be appreciated!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey XJ, long time no see. Hope all is well.

Unfortunately, those machines were really designed to run OS9. I believe you can run early versions of OS X, but you'll be hard pressed to run a modern version of iTunes on it - at least one modern enough to sync your iPod Touch. I would try to get something at least in the 800MHz+ range that can run Tiger adequately.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA covered this very well. The iPod Touch wants a recent version of iTunes to even sync and update. I am sure as firmware updates happen, it might even require a newer version of iTunes as time moves on. That Lime Clamshell might run Tiger but not the best. I know *** much you love the Clamshells, but I would go for something newer to run the latest iTunes and be compatible with that iPod Touch for a long time to come.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Believe it or not...I have OS 10.4.11 "Tiger" installed on my "Clamshell" iBook. It's really not too bad when surfing the internet...but if you go to sites with a lot of graphics, the page will take a while to fully load...and don't even think about YouTube. Mine is a 300mhz Clamshell model...so if you can get a 366/466mhz modelall the better!:)

OP...you didn't mention how much $$$ this Clamshell iBook is going to cost...so that could be a big factor.

Also realize that if the Clamshell doesn't come with a more modern OS X install disk, that's going to cost you as well...and maybe more than the cost of the iBook.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One point I was making was will iTunes versions always run on Tiger? Apple has dropped support for Tiger and with iTunes updates and updates to the Touch's Firmware, a newer version of iTunes might be needed and might not work on Tiger.

For now yes, you can install Tiger and use the latest iTunes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would certainly hope that if someone is purchasing a 9 year-old computer (desktop or laptop) that they are aware that it will have serious limitations both currently & in the future. Either due to the old hardware or latest OS version it supports.

- Nick

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Welllllllllllllllllllllll
I do have a 550MHz G4 Powerbook that is my main computer (Which is what my iPod is synced with) and it worked just fine. BUT it DID/Does have 1GB of RAM which is what probably helped it along...But I mean we're talking a difference of not even 100MHz here and 576MB of RAM would be sufficent?

I'm used to the slow speed - remember I have a 550MHz laptop lol. I just don't want to get a spinning beach ball all the time no matter what I open :p. I don't need speed, I just need it to WORK and not freeze up bc it's so friggin slow lol.

Hi CWA and Travis, yes I'm still alive and in R.I. I met an amazing girlfriend, dropped the whole "Jaguar" thing, actually sold it for three Volvos lol and I'm still in R.I. for the next few months until me and my girl move out to Vegas because I'm going to be a Park Ranger out there!

I would certainly hope that if someone is purchasing a 9 year-old computer (desktop or laptop) that they are aware that it will have serious limitations both currently & in the future. Either due to the old hardware or latest OS version it supports.

- Nick

Um...Yeah...I'm well aware of that dude... I just need it for iTunes and limewire, I was just wondering if it would even do that. Read my post - it says I just need it for the aforementioned. I'm not doing anything else on it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi CWA and Travis, yes I'm still alive and in R.I. I met an amazing girlfriend, dropped the whole "Jaguar" thing, actually sold it for three Volvos lol and I'm still in R.I. for the next few months until me and my girl move out to Vegas because I'm going to be a Park Ranger out there!

Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums more often. Good luck with the new job and girlfriend.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um...Yeah...I'm well aware of that dude... I just need it for iTunes and limewire, I was just wondering if it would even do that. Read my post - it says I just need it for the aforementioned. I'm not doing anything else on it.

Um...Yeah...dude...my post above was in response to other posts...NOT your original post.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks CWA :)

Effing...Wow...They want over $170 for a Lime Green Clamshell....Hahah that's RIDICULOUS!

That's why one of my earlier questions was how much is this Clamshell? I agree...$170 is insane...I wouldn't pay more then in the area of $75.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.