• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac OS X 10.7.3 Beta Drivers Reveal Evidence of New Mac Pros

Reaction score
Shortly after the initial Mac OS X 10.7.3 Beta build was released to developers, Netkas noted that he had found traces of new video drivers for an upcoming AMD graphics card. The site lists a series of function names referencing the codename "Tahiti".

"Tahiti" is the codename for AMD's upcoming 28nm desktop graphics cards which are due in January 2012.

"The new Tahiti series should end up with Radeon HD 7xxx branding and as it will come in XT and PRO flavours. It’s kind of safe to assume that Radeon HD 7970, codename Tahiti XT will be the fastest single chip card from AMD while the Radeon HD 7950 will be codename for the Tahiti PRO product."

MacGadget.de points out that this must have been put in place for the Mac Pro, as it's the only Mac that still uses desktop-class graphics cards (translation):

"The presence of these drivers suggests that Apple will release the aforementioned graphics chip with the next-generation Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is the only Mac-series, which are used in desktop graphics chips. In all other Macs GPU Mobile versions can be found."

While it's possible Apple could just be building in support for existing Mac Pros, that's not the way Apple usually works. Apple typically introduces new graphics card support alongside each new product revision. Unfortunately, even if the presence of these drivers proved that Apple had been working on a new Mac Pro, it still doesn't mean Apple will be releasing them.

The previous rumors have suggested that Apple had already developed a new version of the Mac Pro but the company wasn't sure if they were going to release it. The expected January release of the new AMD graphics cards do line up nicely with the Q1 2012 expected availability of suitable Intel Xeon chips for the new Mac Pros.

Apple last updated the Mac Pro over 15 months ago in July, 2010.

Mac OS X 10.7.3 Beta Drivers Reveal Evidence of New Mac Pros - Mac Rumors

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I hope this means we are going to see a Mac Pro release. Already promised myself a Mac Pro for my next desktop unit, but I would like to have Thundrbolt capability just in case . . . For down the line expansion

OP
SafeHarbor
Reaction score
I hope this means we are going to see a Mac Pro release. Already promised myself a Mac Pro for my next desktop unit, but I would like to have Thundrbolt capability just in case . . . For down the line expansion

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you. The rumors around new Mac Pros have been far and wide for awhile now. While you still can't assume anything quite yet, I think this is perhaps the most trustworthy of all the rumors thus far.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can get TBolt with the current gen iMacs and MBPs. What kind of projects do you need the MP for?

If you have the finances for a MP, it would be better spent on an iMac with the remainder going to me. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can get TBolt with the current gen iMacs and MBPs. What kind of projects do you need the MP for?

If you have the finances for a MP, it would be better spent on an iMac with the remainder going to me. ;)

Based on that logic, wouldn't my money be better spent keeping and using the Macs I have and sending my money to you? ;)

Many reasons for the Mac Pro over iMac:

1) I already have a 27 in monitor that I am well pleased with
2) ditto wireless keyboard and magic trackpad
3) though I have several (4 to 6, I've lst count) FW800 external HDDs, there is no substitute for the speed and flexibility (yet) of an internal drive
4) we're empty nesters and I can afford it, and am buying my expensive toys now before I retire and can't afford it

:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Based on that logic, wouldn't my money be better spent keeping and using the Macs I have and sending my money to you? ;)
Yes but I didn't want to sound too greedy. :p

Many reasons for the Mac Pro over iMac:

1) I already have a 27 in monitor that I am well pleased with
2) ditto wireless keyboard and magic trackpad
3) though I have several (4 to 6, I've lst count) FW800 external HDDs, there is no substitute for the speed and flexibility (yet) of an internal drive
4) we're empty nesters and I can afford it, and am buying my expensive toys now before I retire and can't afford it

:)
All valid points. You could do dual monitors with the iMac though which, as I have come to appreciate, is nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I'm not jealous, I swear:) I wish I could get a Mac Pro. Seems to be my only real viable, upgrade-worthy, purchase from Apple. I'm not sold on the new MacBook Pros. It sure is a pretty penny though.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not jealous, I swear:) I wish I could get a Mac Pro. Seems to be my only real viable, upgrade-worthy, purchase from Apple. I'm not sold on the new MacBook Pros. It sure is a pretty penny though.

When I do a dollars and cents analysis I really can't justify it. But I still want one! ;)

I may even wait a while and get a refurb 2012 as I am not in a hurry on this, assuming they do release as rumored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
When I do a dollars and cents analysis I really can't justify it. But I still want one! ;)

I may even wait a while and get a refurb 2012 as I am not in a hurry on this, assuming they do release as rumored.

Yeah, it would be a refurb for me too. That way, I could spend a little more on some screens. But, that's the dreaming side of my brain talking :D

Reaction score

What about those who require PCIe expansion slots? I run a Protools HD system and use all 3 PCIe slots.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What about those who require PCIe expansion slots? I run a Protools HD system and use all 3 PCIe slots.

Theoretically, it should be possible to make an external PCIe cage for the Thunderbolt port. The possibilities are really endless since Thunderbolt is pretty much a direct pipe to PCIe.

Frankly, I'm stunned that more vendors haven't hopped on Thunderbolt. I guess a lot of people and companies look at it as a "competitor" for USB3 and are waiting to see how things shake out, but really the two technologies are on different playing fields.

Hopefully by this time next year, Intel will be implementing the Thunderbolt controller into their chipsets and we'll see masssive adoption on high-end motherboards, PCs and across the board on Macs. That should spawn some really cool developments in Thunderbolt hardware. Can't wait.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any possibility for retrofit on older Mac Pros to Thundrbolt via a new Graphics Card (assuming they introduce Thunderbolt to the PC world)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Very interesting. I've always wondered if the older Mac Pros could be retrofitted with thunderbolt capabilities.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love the Mac Pro but can not afford one. I love expandable computers. Oh well, stuck with my iMac I guess.

Good Luck Razor. I could do a van and ask you to get a Mini and send me the rest of the $$$ so I could get a new Mac, but I will refrain! :D Grin

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love the Mac Pro but can not afford one. I love expandable computers. Oh well, stuck with my iMac I guess.

Good Luck Razor. I could do a van and ask you to get a Mini and send me the rest of the $$$ so I could get a new Mac, but I will refrain! :D Grin

I would consider it, but that would put you in the impossible position of either getting rid of some of your old computers to make space or moving to a bigger house . . . and I wouldn't want to be responsible for that. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Razor, I could always sell those computer I put up here for that thread but only would get a few $$$ each so it would not even make a dent on a Mac Pro! :D

Trust me, I would make room. I would sell off a PC tower for that nice machine! :D

OP
SafeHarbor
Reaction score
Theoretically, it should be possible to make an external PCIe cage for the Thunderbolt port. The possibilities are really endless since Thunderbolt is pretty much a direct pipe to PCIe.

Exactly. Sonnet is one company to note that has been hard at work developing Thunderbolt adapters and peripherals. The ECHO-E34 Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter is already shipping, and we can expect the Echo Express PCIe 2.0 Expansion Chassis in Q1, 2012.

From Sonnet - Thunderbolt Storage, Adapters & Expansion Boxes:

Sonnet's Echo™ Express PCIe 2.0 Expansion Chassis with Thunderbolt™ Ports enable you to connect one high-performance PCI Express® 2.0 adapter card to any computer with a Thunderbolt port. Imagine using full-size professional video capture cards, 8Gb Fibre Channel cards, 10-Gigabit Ethernet cards, and RAID controller cards with your new iMac® or MacBook® Pro. The Echo Express expansion chassis makes it possible! Available in two sizes, the standard Echo Express PCIe 2.0 Expansion Chassis with Thunderbolt Ports supports one half-length, double-width, x16 (x4 mode), PCIe 2.0 card, while the XL model supports one full-length card; both models have fans to cool the cards. The standard model includes a built-in 75W power supply, while the XL model includes an integrated 150W power supply with a supplemental 75W PCIe power connector. Two Thunderbolt ports support daisy chaining of up to six devices to a single port on the host computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Exactly. Sonnet is one company to note that has been hard at work developing Thunderbolt adapters and peripherals. The ECHO-E34 Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt Adapter is already shipping, and we can expect the Echo Express PCIe 2.0 Expansion Chassis in Q1, 2012.

From Sonnet - Thunderbolt Storage, Adapters & Expansion Boxes:

I saw that and thought it was extremely interesting. I was thinking about getting one of those, adding an ESATA ExpressCard and running one of my ESATA externals through it - but man, that would not be a cheap way to do it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Late '11 Core i7, iMac Early 2006 Core 2 Duo, MacBook Early 2006 Core 2 Duo and more!
Can't wait! ^_^ Had a G5 for around 8 years now and it's really starting to show it's age now, and one big killer for me is being unable to upgrade to Snow Leopard or todays latest need... Lion. iCloud is a must if I don't want to lose all my data and running Tiger on my old PPC only has and old .Mac pref pane!

Have a few other Macs around the house however, all of them Intel based... iMac 2006 running Core 2 Duo I thought would at most last another OS, Lion has killed C2D of unfortunately so my worst fears are here! MacBook Pro running a Core Duo was killed of the Lion market and the remaiing 'BlackBook' is under the same prob. Looked into buying myself a Mac Pro but buying one now would be pathetic, Thunderbolt is about a year old and i'm not buying a 2K computer early just to have a must have component be launched in 2 to 3 months time! :L

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.