uinstalling software

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to Mac. If you want to take a program off your mac computer do you have to uninstall the program or how does this work on a mac? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Drag the unwanted application to the Trash.
Done.

:black:

Reaction score
...unless the program came with an Uninstall program (eg. MS Office), in which case you should use that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
As D3v1L80Y said, you can uninstall applications by simply dragging them to the trash. However it may still keep some unwanted preferences files and support files in your user library. If you want to remove all of them you could use an application such as AppZapper or just search the name on spotlight and delete all the related files(you should know what you are doing).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I use a program called AppDelete to get rid of applications and all references to that program. This saves me the time it would take me to manually do a search for related files, say in the Library folders.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, miamidrift!

Here's another vote for AppZapper. :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
As D3v1L80Y said, you can uninstall applications by simply dragging them to the trash. However it may still keep some unwanted preferences files and support files in your user library. If you want to remove all of them you could use an application such as AppZapper or just search the name on spotlight and delete all the related files(you should know what you are doing).
I will also point out, that if any preference or settings files are left behind, the will neither take up any great amount of space, nor will they affect the way your computer runs in any negative way. It won't hurt to leave them if indeed any are actually left behind.
Like some have suggested, there are third party apps that will see to it that all remnants of an application are removed, if you feel the need to be that thorough about it.
:black:

M

MacHeadCase

Myself, it's just for the zapping sound the app makes. :spook:

Nah! You just drag the app's icon over the AppZapper window and goodbye app.

Reaction score
I just use the 'ol BoneZapper™...hehehe. I drag the thing to the trash and then just search for the name of the app and delete anything that shows up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.