Already have 22in' monitor. What would you do?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to decide between the 21.5 and the 27in. I already have a 22in monitor and was considering saving some by going with the smaller machine and attaching a second monitor as the 2 screens will be roughly the same size.
I don't mind spending a few more dollars for the 27 if it's worth it, but considering I'm not a video/audio editor and probably won't put too much of a load on my machine, I don't want those extra dollars to buy me nothing but overkill.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
spciii

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion…the 27" is a better value.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'll throw out a dissenting opinion here and say that you should go with the 21.5" (because dissent is fun, :p).

I figure that, since the higher end 21.5" is essentially the same as the lower end 27", why get the 27" when you already have a secondary monitor? Doing this will save you $200 for the same hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is a better value. But with the limited space I had on my desk, I opted for the 21.5" model instead. Either iMac is a great bang for your buck!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all. A knowledgeable (at least it seemed) Best Buy employee said I might not like the difference in resolutions between the 2 monitors . . .that I'll lose a lot of it between the primary and secondary if I don't have a 720p monitor.
Anyone else run across this problem? Anyone attached a second monitor but wish they hadn't?
Thanks again,
spciii

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You got the best response. Go with a 21" 2.8GHz model. Keep in mind Apple sell refurbished computers complete with the current OS, a full twelve month warranty, and with a saving of several hundred dollars.

Just do a Google for "iMac refurbished".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Thanks all. A knowledgeable (at least it seemed) Best Buy employee said I might not like the difference in resolutions between the 2 monitors . . .that I'll lose a lot of it between the primary and secondary if I don't have a 720p monitor.
Anyone else run across this problem? Anyone attached a second monitor but wish they hadn't?
Thanks again,
spciii
Yeah. I bought a 21.5 inch iMac in June, planning to use my NEC 22-inch monitor for editing photos. The iMac monitor is so much better than the NEC that the latter is sitting in a box. I'm using my iMac monitor for editing photos and my 12-year-old Sony 17 inch monitor for Mail and palettes. The NEC has lower resolution than the iMac's built-in monitor, which makes everything on the NEC look fuzzy next to the iMac monitor, and the iMac displays the exact same colors without being calibrated. All I did was adjust the brightness to match the calibrated NEC monitor.

As for speed, my bottom-of-the-line 2.5GHz iMac with 20GB RAM throws around 200MB PhotoShop files like it is shooting them out of a t-shirt cannon. YMMV.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again,
spciii

Here's another 2 cents. FOCUS on the main issue here…which is the purchase of the new computer! Forget about this silly 22" monitor for the moment!;)

Don't let some old used 22" monitor that's probably worth $75 bucks be a big deciding factor in your $1000+ iMac purchase decision. I say get the 27" iMac (if it's in your budget)….you'll kick yourself later for not getting it!;)

What you may not realize is…the 27" display used in the 27" iMac is exactly the same as the $999 Apple Cinema Display (minus some of the convenience features of the 27" CInema Display). So basically…if you were to get this refurbished $1419 quad-core i5 iMac:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

You would basically be getting the $999 27" Apple Cinema Display + a 2.7ghz quad-core computer for another $420 bucks (far less than any Mac-Mini…which aren all dual-core). This is why the 27" iMac is such a GREAT value!:)

- Nick

p.s. Again…focus on the main issue here…and that's the purchase of the iMac. Don't let some used 22" monitor be a big deciding factor in a $1000+ iMac purchasing decision!:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nick:

I dream of a 17 MBP attached to a new cinema display! Rich dreams with a poor man's wallet. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick:

I dream of a 17 MBP attached to a new cinema display! Rich dreams with a poor man's wallet. :p

I'm close. I currently have my Early 2011 17" MBP connected to a 22" monitor…and I do have a 24" monitor I could use instead of the 22". But of course…neither of these is close to the quality and "bells & whistles" of the 27" Thunderbolt/Cinema Display!!!;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input (esp Lightcraftsman and pigoo3)! I still haven't pulled the trigger, but have to admit that I'm now leaning towards the 27in with the i5 as I am not a gamer or video editor, but like to have the real estate for multiple windows, but don't want to lose fidelity.
spciii

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
If you have the budget for the 27-inch then go for it.

Reaction score
Hi all,I am trying to decide between the 21.5 and the 27in.
27", no brainer. They are CHEAP!! Less than $250 shipped - are you kidding me?

Amazon.com: Viewsonic's VA2703 27-Inch Full HD 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black: Computers & Accessories

Monitors are some of the longest lasting computer equipment you can get - buy the biggest one you can. At current prices, I wouldn't consider anything less than 27" unless I specifically needed a small monitor for one reason or another.

FWIW, I have 3 27" monitors - and all together they cost a FRACTION of what a single 27" monitor from Apple costs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Here's another 2 cents. FOCUS on the main issue here…which is the purchase of the new computer! Forget about this silly 22" monitor for the moment!;)

Don't let some old used 22" monitor that's probably worth $75 bucks be a big deciding factor in your $1000+ iMac purchase decision. I say get the 27" iMac (if it's in your budget)….you'll kick yourself later for not getting it!;)

What you may not realize is…the 27" display used in the 27" iMac is exactly the same as the $999 Apple Cinema Display (minus some of the convenience features of the 27" CInema Display). So basically…if you were to get this refurbished $1419 quad-core i5 iMac:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

You would basically be getting the $999 27" Apple Cinema Display + a 2.7ghz quad-core computer for another $420 bucks (far less than any Mac-Mini…which aren all dual-core). This is why the 27" iMac is such a GREAT value!:)

- Nick

p.s. Again…focus on the main issue here…and that's the purchase of the iMac. Don't let some used 22" monitor be a big deciding factor in a $1000+ iMac purchasing decision!:)

Couldn't agree more.
27 inch iMac monitor is superb. much better than any of the other monitors I have owned.
The IMac is a fantastic machine, if you get one you will not be disappointed.

Reaction score
2 displays is always better than one. I use them to let my brain switch between what is happening. The ideal is a small monitor to display mail, iTunes, Terminal, and Text Edit left monitor (of the pair) is work, the right monitor is fun! so in the end a 4x3 ay 16x12 and a 16x10

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.