iSight replacement

L

liamwalk1971

Hi,

I am new to Macs, and was looking to setup a webcam for a PowerMac4,2 that i have inherited.

I believe the Apple iSight webcam has been discontinued. Do Apple plan to replace this webcam with an upgraded product?

Also, I have been told that there are few vendors who provide Mac drivers for their webcams. What are the best alternatives to the iSight that are out there for Mac users?

Many thanks

Liam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
isight has not been discontinued - it isn't available in the UK/Europe at the moment as it continues metals that the EU doesn't allow :) I'm sure that they will substitute something else at some point!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
You can still get it in certain places in the UK, and also on ebay.

Reaction score
I can't find it in Australia anywhere (not even at the apple stores!) and I went to **** Smith they told me they had no webcams compatible with Macs! i thought it was pretty outrageous! i just got a Powermac G5, 2.5GHz dual processor. Absolutely love it, been a PC user for a long time and I am really interested in switching to Macs...but I am finding this whole webcam thing a bit frustrating, sure it's nice that all new macs come with a built in webcam but what about those of us who have G5 powermacs? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Since Apple has stopped selling the stand alone iSights, I'm guessing - and going out on a limb here - that they will be releasing an updated model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I can't find it in Australia anywhere (not even at the apple stores!) and I went to **** Smith they told me they had no webcams compatible with Macs! i thought it was pretty outrageous! i just got a Powermac G5, 2.5GHz dual processor. Absolutely love it, been a PC user for a long time and I am really interested in switching to Macs...but I am finding this whole webcam thing a bit frustrating, sure it's nice that all new macs come with a built in webcam but what about those of us who have G5 powermacs? :)

H MacBasil, there are some Mac compatible web cams, such as iMage and some Logitech cameras such as the Logitech Quick Cam pro 4000

Also check out software such as Macam which enables many webcams that are not compatible with Mac OSX to work.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your reply. Great Forum!! :) will check out those Logitech ones and the Macam driver.
cheers!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.