System Tools Equivalent

Reaction score
Are there any System Tools equivalents (Disk Cleaner, Disk Defragmenter) that I should be aware of or use on a Mac? I was told SSD don't need to be defragmented? What about 'msconfig' where I can select the startups?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are there any System Tools equivalents (Disk Cleaner, Disk Defragmenter) that I should be aware of or use on a Mac? I was told SSD don't need to be defragmented? What about 'msconfig' where I can select the startups?

You definitely do not want to defrag an SSD... EVER. There's no heads in an SSD, so no latency while the heads seek out the data. In short, it's not necessary, and since defragmentation does lots of unnecessary writes over and over, it can shorten the life of your SSD significantly.

Disk cleaner basically purges temp files. You can do the same with a tool like Onyx. If you want an inventory of your disk, check out WhatSize (there are free programs that work similarly, I just happen to like this one the best).

MSConfig is more of a troubleshooting tool than a startup manager, but I know a lot of people use it that way (I actually recommend Startup Control Panel, which does a MUCH better job on Windows). On the Mac, you'll want to check in System Preferences => Accounts => Login Items.

For the most part, you should get used to not having to worry about maintenance like you would on a Windows box. If you really feel the need to, keep it to once a month or so and run the basic maintenance tasks in Onyx. Otherwise, just enjoy your machine. In general, OS X requires a lot less maintenance than Windows, which can be hard to get used to if you're used to fretting over how to keep a machine performing optimally.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As an ex-hardcore gamer and overclocker keeping their machine running in top shape, I was one of those that made extensive use of blackviper's site to turn off all the misc services, spent 4+ hrs once a week running a defragger, a/v scan, spybot scan, adaware scan, emptying all the temp folders, keeping track of startup items, blah, blah, blah.

I brought that mindset to OS X and can tell you now, it is not required. I run Onyx maybe once every couple of months or when I notice a little slow down.

OS X apps just do not load stuff into startup the way it seems every Windows app does. That's just something you really don't need to worry about.

After trying all the freebie disk inventory apps, I agree with cwa, WhatSize is worth it's price.

C

chas_m

spent 4+ hrs once a week running a defragger, a/v scan, spybot scan, adaware scan, emptying all the temp folders, keeping track of startup items, blah, blah, blah.

Four plus hours would be an accurate description of the amount of time I spend manually doing maintenance per year.

Thanks for reminding me to hug my Mac for saving me from all that bs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Four plus hours would be an accurate description of the amount of time I spend manually doing maintenance per year.

Thanks for reminding me to hug my Mac for saving me from all that bs.

Yep, that's about right. 4 hours may be on the high side in a year. I use to like doing that stuff.

Now... I wonder why?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.